Do state rankings count your inschool marks? (1 Viewer)

Tsylana

HSC
Do state rankings count only your internal marks...? Or are they based on the average of your internal and your externals?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Basically. You have to top everything. A state rank says what it is... You get the top mark in the state... that's for first... and of course decreasing scaled marks by 0.5-1 for each place afterwards. It is topping the externals... and to do so you must top the internal exams.

Tsylana

HSC
By that logic... If I really wanted to get a state ranking, I wouldn't shouldn't really goto James Ruse or anything... say theoretically i come 5th at Ruse but I get 100% in the external exams... I might not come first in the state... but then if i went to some crappy school in some crap hole ranked last in the state and I get 100% in my internals and obviously rank 1st in that school... That'd give me the bragging rights of 1st in the state... That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
By that logic... If I really wanted to get a state ranking, I wouldn't shouldn't really goto James Ruse or anything... say theoretically i come 5th at Ruse but I get 100% in the external exams... I might not come first in the state... but then if i went to some crappy school in some crap hole ranked last in the state and I get 100% in my internals and obviously rank 1st in that school... That'd give me the bragging rights of 1st in the state... That makes no sense to me whatsoever.
The logic to back my answer is because of the way that the realignment of marks work and scaling is: the gaps between ranks will affect how your mark is 'moderated' with as well... but getting 100% in the externals from a student at a lowest ranking school is very unheard (not impossible of course though).

Getting state ranks are hard work... >_>

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Basically. You have to top everything.
No, you can even come top 10 or 20 in some school for one subject and end up topping the state even though it is very unlikely. State rank = highest average of internal + external mark (raw mark).
A state rank says what it is... You get the top mark in the state... that's for first... and of course decreasing scaled marks by 0.5-1 for each place afterwards. It is topping the externals... and to do so you must top the internal exams
You can potentially come first in the state even though you didn't top the state in the HSC exam. And decreasing of scaled marks entirely depends on the subject. For some subejcts, it's like 0.1 or even 0.05 (high scaling subject) whereas for other subjects it can even be like 1 or 2.
By that logic... If I really wanted to get a state ranking, I wouldn't shouldn't really goto James Ruse or anything... say theoretically i come 5th at Ruse but I get 100% in the external exams... I might not come first in the state... but then if i went to some crappy school in some crap hole ranked last in the state and I get 100% in my internals and obviously rank 1st in that school... That'd give me the bragging rights of 1st in the state... That makes no sense to me whatsoever.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Well but by going to Ruse, you have that security of being able to depend on the cohort. If you go to "some crap hole ranked last in the state" school, you would have to support yourself.
<o:p>
The logic to back my answer is because of the way that the realignment of marks work and scaling is: the gaps between ranks will affect how your mark is 'moderated' with as well... but getting 100% in the externals from a student at a lowest ranking school is very unheard (not impossible of course though).

Getting state ranks are hard work... >_>
</o:p>

True. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)