HELP- HSC exam mark question (1 Viewer)

melati

ok i was reading in the 2004 guide to the hsc that the minimum mark you can get in the exam is 50.
ok so if you get say 26 as your mark do they automatically add 24 to your mark to make it 50? how is this fair to everyone else??
i heard a rumour that they divide everyones mark and add 50 to it. is that true? if so, how come people get marks with odd numbers like 3?

ok sorry bout all the questions

thanks in advance...

Huy

HSC
N/A
the minimum mark you can get in the exam is 50.
I don't think this is true, do you have a page reference?
if you get say 26 as your mark do they automatically add 24 to your mark to make it 50?
I don't think they'll add anymore marks then they should, it wouldn't be an automatic process (on the premise that 50 is the minimum mark).
how is this fair to everyone else?
It isn't, and so that's why I don't think the minimum mark is 50 (raw exam mark). It may be aligned to a mark out of 50 but I highly doubt that too, since 50 lies in the Band 2 performance band.
i heard a rumour that they divide everyones mark and add 50 to it. is that true?
I doubt this rumour is even true. They would take a two unit subject and convert it to a one unit subject, when necessary, if that's what you're saying.
if so, how come people get marks with odd numbers like 3?
That's like asking: how can you get 97 in three-unit maths? It's possible.

Marks don't always have to be even, AFAIK.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The minimum mark is not 50, but you'd have to try really hard to get below 50. It's not an easy thing do to.

I wouldn't say they add marks to it, rather your marks are aligned.

It's fair because you are not going to get an advantage over someone else who beat you. i.e. even though your marks are aligned, your aren't going to beat someone who is 1 mark ahead of your, nor will someone who is 1 mark behind end up beating you.

i heard a rumour that they divide everyones mark and add 50 to it. is that true? if so, how come people get marks with odd numbers like 3?
I've never heard of such a thing.

melati

quote (pg 16)

"for 2 unit courses, the mark will be on an achievement scale for 0-100 with all students who reach the minimum standard expected in a course awarded at least 50. a mark of 50 or more will be accompanied by a description, in a performance band, of the standard the mark represents"

i thought that you achieved minimum standard simply by fulfilling the course outcomes? ie its not based on what your marks are, but simply that you made an attempt...

im probably wrong though

thanks anyway :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
None of the statements in the original post are true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)