Mathematics versus Extension 2 (1 Viewer)

danal353

HSC
i was wandering, with all the talk about extension 2 maths scaling really well...

isn't it better to do 2U maths, get a mark of 97, and have it scaled down to say 94, rather than do 4U maths, get a mark of 80 and have it scaled to 90 or something?

i do 2U maths so i'm hoping that's the case...

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It really depends.

If you're planning on doing any serious maths in uni, you're better off doing mxt2 as it'll really help you.

Oh and if you get ~97 for 2U then you should get higher than 80 for mxt2 so that's why people say mxt2 is probably the better option XD

But of course if you don't like maths then you'd probably die if you attempted mxt2 so you'd be better of doing 2U.

Just do whichever course you'd be able to bear and work to get the highest mark possible :)

maths94

HSC
i was wandering, with all the talk about extension 2 maths scaling really well...

isn't it better to do 2U maths, get a mark of 97, and have it scaled down to say 94, rather than do 4U maths, get a mark of 80 and have it scaled to 90 or something?

lol its much easier to get 80 in 4u then 97 in 2u...and good luck getting 97 man.. if u can get 97 in 2u i dnt think mx1 or mx2 will b hard for u..

danal353

HSC
well i have to stick with what i've got since the HSC is in like 3 months...

it was just kind of strange to be told this year that maths was my best subject when i thought it would be my worst... i actually picked up extension 2 english just so i'd have 12 units cause i thought my maths wouldn't count... ah well

but i suppose its not too bad, i don't actually like maths and won't really be doing it in uni

maths94

HSC
well i have to stick with what i've got since the HSC is in like 3 months...

it was just kind of strange to be told this year that maths was my best subject when i thought it would be my worst... i actually picked up extension 2 english just so i'd have 12 units cause i thought my maths wouldn't count... ah well

but i suppose its not too bad, i don't actually like maths and won't really be doing it in uni
if maths is ur strength/best subject y dnt u use it in uni?

danal353

HSC
because i never actually thought of it as a strength... and it's my least favourite subject, i initially only picked 2 units of it because my parents wanted me to do at least some senior high school level maths and because 2U maths is assumed knowledge in a lot of uni courses..

i'd hate to do anything maths intensive though

maths94

HSC
because i never actually thought of it as a strength... and it's my least favourite subject, i initially only picked 2 units of it because my parents wanted me to do at least some senior high school level maths and because 2U maths is assumed knowledge in a lot of uni courses..

i'd hate to do anything maths intensive though
ur choice

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

well a 97 will get scaled down worse than that btw.
and the advantage of doing 4u math is that you can have 4 units of maths count for your ATAR. so even if i woulda got a 80 in MX2 and 97 in 2unit i would still probably still do 4unit coz i would rather have maths count for my ATAR than some other subject.

but yes, its better to do really well in 2unit than do below average in 4unit.
good luck

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
not to mention theres alot of advantages of doing 4u once u hit uni.

koojsj

HSC
It really depends.

If you're planning on doing any serious maths in uni, you're better off doing mxt2 as it'll really help you.

Oh and if you get ~97 for 2U then you should get higher than 80 for mxt2 so that's why people say mxt2 is probably the better option XD

But of course if you don't like maths then you'd probably die if you attempted mxt2 so you'd be better of doing 2U.

Just do whichever course you'd be able to bear and work to get the highest mark possible :)

Not true. I consistently get around 95 for 2U maths. However, I now do 4U math and im only getting around 60%. It just depends on capabilities and how much you study and practice on the subject.

However I must say that doing 4U maths would be the better option as it's scaling is ridiculously high and that, depending on the university you go to, it can get you extra bonus ATAR points.

Divinity_

HSC
Mathematics students must be positioned in the top 3% [top 539] in the state to receive a scaled mark of 90/100.

Mathematics Ext 1 students must be positioned in the top 23% [top 2014] in the state to receive a scaled mark of 90/100.

Mathematics Ext 2 students must be positioned in the top 46% [top 1403] in the state to receive a scaled mark of 90/100.
I got this from a guide forgot it's name :S

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
I got this from a guide forgot it's name :S
Isn't that from the matrix guide?
EDIT: It's from the matrix guide. So tell me, how did you forget it's name?

Last edited:

danal353

HSC
it does begin to look easier to get a better mark in ext 2... but then again, only 2000 people do it and i see the effort they have to put in, it's infinitely more than what i have to do in 2U - so it probably wouldn't be good for someone who doesn't really like maths.

so i think i'll just console myself with that...

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Not true. I consistently get around 95 for 2U maths. However, I now do 4U math and im only getting around 60%. It just depends on capabilities and how much you study and practice on the subject.

However I must say that doing 4U maths would be the better option as it's scaling is ridiculously high and that, depending on the university you go to, it can get you extra bonus ATAR points.
LOL that's just percentage. They haven't aligned your score yet - read Divinity's post XD

And i said should, not will.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I don't know really...

I originally had your view, dana. However, after consulting my study coordinator...if you are actually good at maths (about low to mid band 6 in 4 unit) doing 4 unit helps you a lot more in terms of uai aggregate even if you do very very well in 2 unit maths like 99 or 100.

Besides

I would strongly argue that getting 100 in 2 unit requires much more luck than getting say 95 in 4 unit if you are good at maths.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)