Why does scaling work the way it does? (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
I understand scaling. But why does scaling favour some subjects and shun others? Is it based on difficulty, or candidature, or both? Sorry if something's already been posted about this, but I can't recall ever reading as to why certain subjects scale the way they do. For instance, I kinda think that the humanities such as modern history ought to scale better. Is there a counter argument to this?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
I understand scaling. But why does scaling favour some subjects and shun others? Is it based on difficulty, or candidature, or both? Sorry if something's already been posted about this, but I can't recall ever reading as to why certain subjects scale the way they do. For instance, I kinda think that the humanities such as modern history ought to scale better. Is there a counter argument to this?
candidature solely.
There's no real issue to this because this system isn't really biased towards any subjects. It's just the way it is.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
candidature solely.
There's no real issue to this because this system isn't really biased towards any subjects. It's just the way it is.
+1

Oh and modern does scale very well - just ~93 and it scales brilliantly :)

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it's not exactly scaling that is brilliant in anything... because only MX2 and a couple of freak weird subjects scale up. We should really say that they align well/don't align well.

I'll edit this to say that it is purely on candidature, but it relies on how well those candidates perform in their other subjects to determine what the scaling/aligning is for that subject. i.e. At the risk of being criticised... the better aligning/scaling occurs where the 'smarter' kids are.

Last edited:

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Difficulty is the reason, but how difficult a subject is regarded is not the private opinion of uac or bos.

For example, from data it is shown that students who do both Economics and Biology tends to do better in biology than in eco, uac would conclude from there that biolgy is easier then eco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)