will there a significant change in my hsc mark if...? (1 Viewer)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
hey guys, :wave:

here's my situation:
- atm, there's only 2 people in history extension (including myself) [there was 3 in the course]
- prior to the third guy dropping the course, we were all ranked =1st in the half yearly, with a mark of 20/25 = 80% (weighted 5%)
- for our major project, we both got 33/40 (82.5%) [weighted 40%], and therefore still =1st

hypothetical situations & questions:
1) let's say in the trials (with 5% weighting), i get 41/50 (82%) and the other guy gets 42/50 (84%)
will there be a big change in my internal mark, since the trials are only worth 5%

2) if in our trials we both get 80% and still be =1st, and in the hsc i get a raw mark of 40/50 and the other guy gets 41/50:
will there be a significant change to my final mark after the moderation/scaling process?

thanks & i hope this all makes sense :haha:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
probably not. once it's all squashed down it shouldn't make a difference. unless you're on the brink of going up a percentage and he's just above you and goes up one percentage, then no. i cbf to figure it out. just make each into a number out of five and yeah.

two. your school assessment marks should be equal after moderation [someone correct me if i'm wrong] and say the external, scaled marks were 41 & 40, you'd just get one mark below him. it shouldn't be a larger gap than that.

absorber

HSC
hey guys, :wave:

here's my situation:
- atm, there's only 2 people in history extension (including myself) [there was 3 in the course]
- prior to the third guy dropping the course, we were all ranked =1st in the half yearly, with a mark of 20/25 = 80% (weighted 5%)
- for our major project, we both got 33/40 (82.5%) [weighted 40%], and therefore still =1st

hypothetical situations & questions:
1) let's say in the trials (with 5% weighting), i get 41/50 (82%) and the other guy gets 42/50 (84%)
will there be a big change in my internal mark, since the trials are only worth 5%

2) if in our trials we both get 80% and still be =1st, and in the hsc i get a raw mark of 40/50 and the other guy gets 41/50:
will there be a significant change to my final mark after the moderation/scaling process?

thanks & i hope this all makes sense :haha:
I'm confused. your trials, half yearly and MW weighting combined are worth 50%? Then where does the other 50 come from?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
probably not. once it's all squashed down it shouldn't make a difference. unless you're on the brink of going up a percentage and he's just above you and goes up one percentage, then no. i cbf to figure it out. just make each into a number out of five and yeah.

two. your school assessment marks should be equal after moderation [someone correct me if i'm wrong] and say the external, scaled marks were 41 & 40, you'd just get one mark below him. it shouldn't be a larger gap than that.
That looks right to me :)

I'm confused. your trials, half yearly and MW weighting combined are worth 50%? Then where does the other 50 come from?
50% comes from your internal school marks, 50% comes from your external HSC mark.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

I think the poster is using % instead of marks.

Extension History is a 1 unit course so the mark sent into the BOS is out of 50 not 100.

Some schools therefore weight the tasks out of a total of 50 and so the weights given adding to 50 seems right to me.

I actually weight them out of 100 (as per our school policy of all assessment schedules being worth 100%) and then divide it by 2 to get the mark out of 50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)