How the HSC results are calculated (1 Viewer)

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
Hey 09 kids,

I did my HSC in 2008 so I know what I'm talking about. But then again with the whole ATAR shakeup what I am about to say may not really be adequate. You read at your own risk :jedi:.

Looking through the hoardes of post trial HSC posts and noting the general increase in stress and anxiety regarding trials and results and how it will affect your ATAR, I'd like to take a few moments to clarify how HSC marks work, well, how they worked in 2008, which is close enough.

So you sit your HSC exams and then come sometime December the HSC results will be announced via BoS (the other one), usually they will come in the form of two categories of equal weighting:

50% of your mark will be internally based. Thus this will be the accumulation of all those assignments, essays, tests and whatnot you did in year 12. Trials play a large component since they are usually worth something like 40% but then again remember that you have the other 60% of internal marks to go - trials are not the end of the world. I've found that the mark on the HSC results is the same as the one the school gives you - there is no scaling*

The other 50% of your mark will be the HSC exam result. With this you only ever get to see your scaled mark, not your raw mark. Usually most HSC subjects scale up so this shouldn't be a matter. In real life most of the class of 08 who did 4-unit math at Sydney Girls thought that they had failed the exam - it was that hard. But upon receiving their HSC exam mark found that they still achieved a decent result.

And that is how they calculate your overall HSC mark, its just 50+50 = 100

So guys, my advice to you, chillax and try to enjoy your last year of high school, and remember, there are always alternative pathways to what you want to do in life - the HSC is only one of them

*I admit that I am talking from a public school perspective, I have no idea how Catholic and private schools work

youngminii

Banned
HSC
That was actually quite fail with some random bits of truth.. There's more than enough information on this site to learn how it all works anyway.

narno

HSC
So how does rank affect your ATAR
is it more important to get a better ran or a better mark, for example in chemistrey i got 44% and came 5th or 6th overall i think/hoping out of 12 people howevr in eglish advanced i am averaging 70% and think i im a like top 15 or 20 out 60. So what is important? my careers adviser said that it is more important to come top 5 in most of your subjects then your marks? overall is your rank more important then your actual mark?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
So how does rank affect your ATAR
is it more important to get a better ran or a better mark, for example in chemistrey i got 44% and came 5th or 6th overall i think/hoping out of 12 people howevr in eglish advanced i am averaging 70% and think i im a like top 15 or 20 out 60. So what is important? my careers adviser said that it is more important to come top 5 in most of your subjects then your marks? overall is your rank more important then your actual mark?
they're both important. its situational.

narno

HSC
What do you mean its situational?
I was told that you need to get top 5 in all your subjects and
obviously to do well in the HSC to recieve an ATAR above 90.

sickk

HSC
there is so much wrong with this thread, can it be deleted before people get bad information?

narno

HSC
LOL so i am guesing your rank in your subjects is important for you to recieve an ATAR above 90?

izzy88

HSC
I was told that you need to get top 5 in all your subjects and
obviously to do well in the HSC to recieve an ATAR above 90.
Of course what rank you need to get an ATAR above 90 would depend on your school/cohort. At my old school, generally 40-50% of the year would get an ATAR/UAI over 90, obviously they all couldn't be top 5 in their subjects, because it depends on the cohort.

That's why it's 'situational'. If you go to a school where the cohort doesn't do as well, you will obviously have to be higher ranked in your subjects.

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
Wait...
So HSC exam marks are scaled (mostly up? what doesn't scale up?) before they're averaged with the moderated internal mark?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)