effect of internal ranks. (1 Viewer)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
okay, so today i stuffed up my mx1 trial pretty badly, started crying in the middle of it and everything, was wonderful.

anyway, i was just wondering, if you go pretty crappily throughout the year [this is just mx1 by the way, i think i've done o..kay in my others] how much does it really affect your final marks? i know it's 50-50 and everything, but, i basically need someone to tell me whether i should apply for usyd psych [97], or uow science [65 or something], haha. EDIT; just highlighting the differences in my hopes and what i'm potentially going to get. ie, is this going to screw up my hopes for 97?

i haven't got my results back yet because i'm still doing trials, but yeah, i know 100% that i will do so much better in hsc than i've done the past year. my school is 20th, ranks are about top ten mx2, top thirty mx1, about 60th english advanced, top twenty chem, and topish of french.

these are without my trial results to pull up [or down].

Last edited:

Dumbledore

HSC
apply for both? thats why they give u 9 preferences

if u truely screwed up ur MX1 assesments and can still come top 30 in a really high rank school, then 97 ATAR should be easy (assuming you don't screw up ur HSC aswell)

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
depends, your ranks sound pretty decent, better than mine anyway, i dont think its going to hurt you that much to be honest, even if you do flunk 3u in the hsc.

and yeah, you shoould put usyd psych above science anyway, theres always the chance youll perform spectacularly and get into it; better trying and failing than not trying at all.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
oh yeah, i was planning on applying for it, i was just making it an example haha. thanks. hopefully my other trial results pull my rankings up quite a bit. i went really well in mx2 and external french speaking, so yeah, hopefully that all adds up =].

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Remember that you can still change your preferences after you have received your UAI/ATAR as well ;)

anom1ly

HSC
okay, so today i stuffed up my mx1 trial pretty badly, started crying in the middle of it and everything, was wonderful.
if i was there. i would've given u my shoulder

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
+1

yeah, you can, you know :)
yeah, i do know that, that wasn't really the point though. it was more like, am i going to get a crappy uai or not, and that was how i chose to ask it. but thanks for your kind words =].

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I hope you still go well :D

You should still go okay even if you flunk MX1... they're very kind with aligning of marks in MX1 and MX2 ^_^. With regard to being able to change your preferences... It's best to not change your top 1-3 preferences too much (specifically top one) because if people who are accepted do not take the offer there will be other rounds, and they go first to those who fill the next block of atar and those who have kept their choices the same.

^ This happened to dux of my school. Flunked HSC pretty bad because of some issues going on, but she got into her dream course because she never changed her preference and was selected on the 3rd round.

HSC
yeah, i do know that, that wasn't really the point though. it was more like, am i going to get a crappy uai or not, and that was how i chose to ask it. but thanks for your kind words =].
lol i was being a-bit of a goof XD

but back on topic, yeh hopefully you won't i think there's still room for improvement

+ you can change you're courses after u recieved ur ATAR

glad i can help

:)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Sounds like you'll be fine, as long as you do really well in the HSC.. Not the best place to break down is it :D
Naw but you have to realise, regardless of what everyone else says, trials won't change your ranks that much. Consider a normal assessment out of 40 marks that has a 20% weighing. 1 mark in that assessment will be equivalent to .5% of your maximum total school mark. Now consider your MX1 trials, 40(?)% for 84 marks. That means 1 mark in the trials is less than .5% of your maximum total school mark. (That's all hypothetical) So assuming everyone didn't do so much better than you, your rank wouldn't have changed too much and everything's gonna be sweet and dandy :)

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Hey, you do know that not even half of our yr 12 marks have been assessed so far right? And the cost of stuffing up a few questions in the test would have affected less than 1% of your hsc...I kinda went through the same thing after Ext 1, and even though its hard I'm trying to remind myself that there's no point worrying about it now. Its done. I'm just trying to do really well in my next test to make up for it, that's probably a good option for you too right now.

Or you can wallow in self-pity and fret over the past, whatever's good for you... :)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Hey, you do know that not even half of our yr 12 marks have been assessed so far right? And the cost of stuffing up a few questions in the test would have affected less than 1% of your hsc...I kinda went through the same thing after Ext 1, and even though its hard I'm trying to remind myself that there's no point worrying about it now. Its done. I'm just trying to do really well in my next test to make up for it, that's probably a good option for you too right now.

Or you can wallow in self-pity and fret over the past, whatever's good for you... :)
bellman, i am trying to do that but i'm highly worried that i'm going to do the same thing as i did in my french oral and mx1. screw stress and screw the fact that some people are getting misadventure for fucking depression when they're not even depressed. gahhhhhhhhhhhh.

/end rant.

yeah, that's why i'm trying to go really well in chem and french tomorrow then hsc, i am studying so hard for it;s not funny. what you got left?

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
bellman, i am trying to do that but i'm highly worried that i'm going to do the same thing as i did in my french oral and mx1. screw stress and screw the fact that some people are getting misadventure for fucking depression when they're not even depressed. gahhhhhhhhhhhh.

/end rant.

yeah, that's why i'm trying to go really well in chem and french tomorrow then hsc, i am studying so hard for it;s not funny. what you got left?
OK, no more help from me then. Just try and keep yourself together for another few days then...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)