How does school rank affect your overral HSC? (1 Viewer)

istudy

HSC
Hey guys,

Im just wondering how does your school rank affect your overral HSC? I am like a kinda top student at school. But say if another student whos comming last and he/she gets 100% for HSC, what would be his overral UAI?

May you please explain to me the relationship?

Thanks in advanced ! :D

:sun:

Cloesd

HSC
Hey guys,

Im just wondering how does your school rank affect your overral HSC? I am like a kinda top student at school. But say if another student whos comming last and he/she gets 100% for HSC, what would be his overral UAI?

May you please explain to me the relationship?

Thanks in advanced ! :D

:sun:
What I have understood so far is this, they take the cohort's (All the people in your school that do the subject) external performance (The mark they got for the HSC exam), and assign values FROM that external performance to people as their internal mark, BASED on their internal ranking. What i mean is, let's say you're coming exactly 5/10 in a course in your school at the end of the trials, and in the external your cohort got an average mark of 50. ROUGHLY, your internal mark will then be 50. In a very rough estimation, you can say that you will get the for the internal component of your HSC mark, the external mark that the person who came the same rank as you did internally got.

(Why they do this: This method seems to preserve the "ranks" of students, but assigns them marks based on their EXTERNAL performance, eliminating the schools assesment tasks, and their varying difficulties entirely.)

(A benefit that comes out of this *not sure if true please confirm* is that, if you have a very small candidature, with say, 7 or so people. IF EVERY-ONE of those 7 people get a very good EXTERNAL mark, internal marks don't even matter anymore, because even if you get the LOWEST external mark, itl'l still be a very good one)

FOR the EXTERNAL component of the HSC, you basically get a what mark you got in the external exam, (after scaling and such).

These two are averaged, and then scaled again, to produce your HSC mark /100.(the overall thing you're typing into the SAM calculators), and THIS is then done for ALL of your subjects, and ALL of your "HSC MARKS" (the one's you are meant to put into SAM calculator) are added to get a mark out of 500. (50 for each unit you do, you should be counted for doing 10, thus 500). This is then ranked against the state and everyone else's "out of 500 mark" (its known as a scaled aggregate) to produce your UAI. (thus the UAI is ranking not a mark)

Now what this means for your friend, If he gets the lowest ranking in the school that will LIKELY bring down his "scaled aggregate" quite a bit. WHY? because his 100% external will need to be added to the LOWEST mark the school got externally, and then divided by two (averaged). However this doesn't mean he WILL get a low mark for his internal component (It's just very likely he will). Consider the case IF the lowest mark in the school was 90, this means that he will get the average between 90(lowest external mark in school) and 100 (his OWN external mark). (95, a very respectable mark). (Do note however, that even the TOP school doesn't have a distribution between 90 and 100, so this is a VERY idealized scenario)

So in a school like James ruse, in which most of your cohort aren't going to flop and will try their best, even if you get a very low internal ranking. Youl'l still get a fair internal MARK. Because even the LOWEST external marks will be good.

In a bad school, i don't want to name any but... IF you get the LOWEST internal ranking, then you're pretty much screwed BECAUSE, the lowest external mark will be of some kid that circled the x for the "Solve for X" questions. And so your internal mark will be retardedly low.

So you can't really tell, what his UAI (no i will NOT call it an ATAR, yes i AM old-school) will be unless you know how the cohort as a group did (A good estimation of this, is found if you know the school's ranking). If they did well, his internal mark even though he came last, will be alright. IF they did poorly, his internal mark will be the poorest of the poor.

TLDR:
Internal: You get the external mark of the person that ranked externally the same rank as you ranked internally (rough estimate of how the system works, in reality its more continuous assigning internal marks based on value sets graphed against rank.)

External: What you get in your HSC exam after scaling

HSC mark: The average of internal and external (and then scaled again).

UAI: The sum of your HSC marks for ALL subjects, ranked against everyone else.

Last edited:

istudy

HSC
Oh, wow excellent, this is more clearer! :D

So basically my whole school has to go well right?

thankyou! :)

Cloesd

HSC
Well if the whole cohort (everyone that does that particular subject in your school) does well, then yes you've got it easier than if they don't do well.

UNLESS your coming first internally. Because that means, you will get the top external mark as your internal mark (so if the whole school is failing and you're winning, then youl'l get your OWN external mark as your internal mark).

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Well if the whole cohort (everyone that does that particular subject in your school) does well, then yes you've got it easier than if they don't do well.

UNLESS your coming first internally. Because that means, you will get the top external mark as your internal mark (so if the whole school is failing and you're winning, then youl'l get your OWN external mark as your internal mark).
I'm not sure what you're trying to say by this, but I'll clarify it up.

If person A is first internally and person B is second or lower. But when we go to sit the external examinations (after the aligning of marks. i.e. pushing marks up and down depending on the subject)... person B beats person A in the externals and B gets first. Now, person B's external mark will become person A's internal assessment mark (essentially) but they will both keep their own respective marks.

The only person who is exempt from any mark changes is person X at a different school who tops internally and externally. This way person X will get the same external mark and internal assessment mark :D

istudy

HSC
Hey, is it true that every school someone has to get around 90's?

So like if the highest HSC mark was like 80 will it get pushed up to be 99?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Hey, is it true that every school someone has to get around 90's?

So like if the highest HSC mark was like 80 will it get pushed up to be 99?
No. Many schools have hundreds of students, none of which get a single band 6 - take a look at the school ranking threads.

x_symphonic

HSC
No. Many schools have hundreds of students, none of which get a single band 6 - take a look at the school ranking threads.
woah i never knew that. What would the lowest band of the smartest student be. hmm

istudy

HSC
Hey does our internal mark include affect our HSC? Or does the internal mark only accounts for our rank?

PLUS is 16/51 for 2unit maths good? =\

Enigmanation

HSC
Thats a bit subjective to say, depends on how well your school is ranked aswell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)