would my classmates' marks affect mine?? (1 Viewer)

greenie1113

Bone Saw is ready
HSC
say the majority of the class is failing
would this affect my final mark??
i.e. make my marks lower or something

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
no, unless they're beating you, and if they're beating you, you must've failed too.

greenie1113

Bone Saw is ready
HSC
lol ohk kwl
im coming 2nd n passing so thats alright then
thanks!

carlytse621

HSC
what happen if my rank in low at school, but I beat them in the HSC. If they are failing in the HSC but I am not, will their mark affect my internal mark??? I don't want to fail in this way!!!!

Last edited:

thetai903

HSC
what happen if my rank in low at school, but I beat them in the HSC. If they are failing in the HSC but I am not, will their mark affect my internal mark :eek:??? I don't want to fail in this way!!!!

Unfortunately, this will drag down your overall HSC mark. But since the school assessments reflect your ability in the HSC, I think it will be hard for your to beat them anyways.

sickk

HSC
depends how much trials are worth and how much you beat them by, you could have killed the trial worth lets say 40% and have never done great in assessments, but because of the weighting you can still come out first.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
From what I learn from the board of studies woman it seems it does.
HSC marks undergoes some sort of "averaging" except for the top student and worst student. I presume this "averaging" have a bigger effect if the standard deviation of the class mark is high.

MzBiiBii

HSC
Is ranks still a big deal if I'm in classes of 2, 4, and 8 (the highest being 10 students?)

shady145

Banned
HSC
From what I learn from the board of studies woman it seems it does.
HSC marks undergoes some sort of "averaging" except for the top student and worst student. I presume this "averaging" have a bigger effect if the standard deviation of the class mark is high.
what if top 2 ranks are very close

shady145

Banned
HSC
^i'm under the impression you are wrong... =)

anyone know?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
i was under the impression that it doesn't really matter about gaps with ranks - it's basically the ranks which make all the difference...
Utlimately you must be allocated an assessment mark out of 100. If gap does not matter than how do the board decide what assessment mark you are allocated?

When the board lady came to my school to explain that stuff she just glossed over it and said something like - the top student get the highest hsc mark, and the worst ranked student get the lowest hsc mark, and the marks in between are "averaged".
There was this powerpoint slide that I remeber vividly which has a tabulated example of the process. IT shows the rank one student taking the best mark, and the rank last student taking the worst mark, and the marks in between are in decimals (e.g. 87.5, 64.2, 45.6...etc.)
I take it that the fact there are decimal figures infers that your classmates' mark do have an effect on your own - and I presumed the effect is that if you have a crappy class and you failed to get rank 1, your assessment marks will be pulled down by the averaging process.

Meh, bunch of mumble jumbo, just study hard and ignore the crap above.

yz125

HSC
What happens if you tie with someone in a subject. For example, I have come equal third in 2 subjects. Would I and the person who came equal third with me both get the 3rd top mark?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
no...it's the other way around

gaps between ranks based on ur internal asssessments.

they take the pool of external mark and distribute it according to the gaps (it is NOT 1:1 ratio)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)