Question about assessment mark moderating (1 Viewer)

kcrocks

HSC
I'm not that familiar with how the assessment mark is changed after my school sends it off but I've got a couple of questions.

Firstly, in Legal studies, I'm coming first with an overall assessment mark of around 88, but I know my teacher is an extremely hard marker (in the trial, where he followed the criteria I got 95). I'm coming first, with second probably having an assessment mark of around 84. Say if I get a 94ish in the HSC, will my assessment mark also become 94? If second also gets a 90 in the HSC how would it change their assessment mark. (other than the top 2 in my class, the rest of the results are quite average, and me and the person coming second both want a band 6)

Secondly, in 2unit maths, I'm coming second with an assessment mark of 84. First is on 94. In the trial however, i got 87.5% and first got 88%, which has given me hope to get a band 6. Is it still possible to get a band 6 considering the 10 mark difference between our assessment marks? (the next assessment mark is in the high 60s, then high 50s)

Thanks, I know it's a lot to ask, but it has been bugging me

Chris :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I'm coming first, with second probably having an assessment mark of around 84. Say if I get a 94ish in the HSC, will my assessment mark also become 94?
Yes.

If second also gets a 90 in the HSC how would it change their assessment mark. (other than the top 2 in my class, the rest of the results are quite average, and me and the person coming second both want a band 6)
This depends on the performance of the other students in your class.

Try it out yourself here.

Secondly, in 2unit maths, I'm coming second with an assessment mark of 84. First is on 94. In the trial however, i got 87.5% and first got 88%, which has given me hope to get a band 6. Is it still possible to get a band 6 considering the 10 mark difference between our assessment marks? (the next assessment mark is in the high 60s, then high 50s)
Yes, it is still possible to achieve a mark of 90+.

Your trial marks have nothing to do with the marks reported by the Board. A trial mark of 87.5% does not mean you're a band 5 student. Trial marks (like other school assessment marks) can't be compared to the performance bands or the marks reported by the Board.

If both yourself and the student ranked first achieve aligned marks of 90+ on the HSC exam it is likely you will both score in the band 6 range overall.

kcrocks

HSC
Thanks for the reply Lazarus, cleared a lot up. You seem like you know a lot about the HSC alignment process etc. Do you by any chance know any of the raw mark cut offs for band 6/band5 in IPT? I read your other board about the raw cut off marks which has given me a renewed hope in physics and mx1

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I don't have any information about IPT at the moment, I'm sorry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)