HSC english marking (1 Viewer)

serena123

HSC
Are all parts of English advance exam double marked? How many different marking centres are there in NSW? When there are discrepancies in mark, do boardofstudies take the average of the two, or just the higher one?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Any HSC question worth 10 marks or more is double marked.

I don't know how many different marking centres there are for English.

Discrepancies are resolved by the Senior Marker of the group where the discrepancy occured. A discrepancy is where the two markers are some way apart (e.g. it can be as high as 5 or 6 marks out of 25 depending on the year - certainly has been in Modern History).

The process is this - marker 1 marks the question and the bundle is returned to the clerical staff who give the bundle to marker 2 after removing marker 1's mark sheet. Marker 2 then records their marks for the bundle on their mark sheet. The clerical staff then scan the two mark sheets and where a script is outside the maximum difference between the mark then the SM is given the script for a third read through. The SM will adjust the marks to what it should be by either changing one or both the marks - e.g. if I give an essay 22/25 and marker 2 gives it 15/25 the SM mightn't change both marks but might think I was too high and so take mine to 18/25.

The two marks are then recorded and averaged (although I have been given two different times for when this happens - one is that if happens question by question and the other is that it is only done when the entire paper is totalled and that total mark is converted).

serena123

HSC
How many markers are there for english in one particular marking centre? Are the marking standardised between different marking centres?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)