Quality of a Band 3, 4, 5 or 6 student (1 Viewer)

ashllis92

HSC
Hi, I've been doing past papers and comparing raw marks to aligned HSC marks to see which band I would get roughly. I know that for each year the cut off changes depending on the difficulty of the paper but my question is, is the quality of a certain band always the same ie. Bob gets 78/100 for Chemistry which aligns to a band 6 (this is just an example) in the 2007 HSC. Now assuming he sat the 2006 HSC for practise which was a lot harder and he only got 70/100. Would Bob who is a band 6 student get a band six?

boxhunter91

HSC
I found the 2007 paper harder then the 2006. A 70 in that would of given you a mid to high band 5 but no chance 90+. A 78 in 2007 is a good mark and yeh would def be around band 6 range.

brad616

HSC
Band 6: 90-100 A

Displays an extensive sophisticated level of knowledge by going "above and beyond what is required." They not only show an understanding but evaluate this understanding with regards to the question.

A Band 6 student is a student who not only completes all the set work and the weekly work but does extra work to show that they have a superior level of understanding produced by quality, excellent knowledge as evident in their responses. An A grade excellent student is a student who goes the extra mile and therefore produces a perfect outstanding response.

Band 5: 80-89 B

Shows a very strong understanding, however, does not evaluate this understanding to show they know more than what the question is showing.

A Band 5 student is a student who not only does all the homework but also does the weekly exercises that the teacher provides the students with.

Band 4: 70-79 C
Shows a limited information by simply repeating the facts or the basic story line- as they only know the basic content/information required to pass the examination.

A Band 4 student will only complete the homework that the teacher gives and will not even make an attempt at the weekly homework or any past papers.

Band 3:60-69 D
Shows an inadequate understanding by being unable to grasp the basic facts and information required.

A Band 3 student will not complete the homework, weekly work or any past papers. A student in this category will not even attend all their classes for the whole year and may fail to submit assignments that contribute to the weighting of this task.

Band 2:50-59 E
Unable to write a response

A Band 2 student did not complete this subject as they did not attempt to even write a response to the question and therefore a 0 mark was awarded for that section

Band 1: 40-49 (NA) F
Did not complete the examination at all. A mark in this category suggests that a student has achieved below the minimum expectation for this subject.

A Band 1 student was either caught cheating and got 0 for the whole examination or did not write the exam.

Schoey93

HSC
Um, LOL, no. A Band 1 student DOES write the exam. I can assure you of that: they just DO NOT write it WELL... my friend (P.B.) got a Band 1 in S.C. Science and she wrote the exam...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The whole point of aligning is so that the quality of the students who get Band 6 is the same from year to year so thereortically it shouldn't matter what year you do the HSC if you get a Band 6 one year you should get it the next.

As for Band 1 students they simply aren't very good.

A student could write 4 - 5 lines for a 5 mark question and get 1/5. Multiply that across a 100 mark paper and you end up at about 20/100 = an attempt but not very good and probably a Band 1 (although in some subjects that could be a Band 2).

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Sorry brad, whoever gave you that information was wrong. The band standards (perfomance descriptors) are explicitly defined by the Board of Studies, and band 1 does not mean you didn't sit the exam. They don't consider anything except for the number of outcomes you've achieved, essentially.

To answer the original question: the system is designed to do that, yes. A band 6-standard student should always get a band 6. Obviously it won't always work out perfectly because it's a strict mathematical process, but that's the way it's designed to work.

ajdlinux

HSC
Band 1: 40-49 (NA) F
Did not complete the examination at all. A mark in this category suggests that a student has achieved below the minimum expectation for this subject.

A Band 1 student was either caught cheating and got 0 for the whole examination or did not write the exam.
http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/standards-packs/SP02_15050/files/samples/q17/q17_b12_s1.pdf

There's an example of a band 1 student for you, straight from the official Board of Studies resources. They definitely did attempt the question, and they certainly didn't cheat - they just failed miserably at it!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/standards-packs/SP02_15050/files/samples/q17/q17_b12_s1.pdf

There's an example of a band 1 student for you, straight from the official Board of Studies resources. They definitely did attempt the question, and they certainly didn't cheat - they just failed miserably at it!
That student is at the borderline which means that the judges think that that standard should get 50/100. That is actually the very bottom of a Band 2 response and you can tell because at the top is says Band1/2 meaning that that is the borderline Band 2 response.

I have had a quite capable student get a Band 1 once. He got 49/100 because he accidentally did two questions from the same section and therefore left out a section, meaning that he left out 25% of the paper.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hi, I've been doing past papers and comparing raw marks to aligned HSC marks to see which band I would get roughly. I know that for each year the cut off changes depending on the difficulty of the paper but my question is, is the quality of a certain band always the same ie. Bob gets 78/100 for Chemistry which aligns to a band 6 (this is just an example) in the 2007 HSC. Now assuming he sat the 2006 HSC for practise which was a lot harder and he only got 70/100. Would Bob who is a band 6 student get a band six?
The answer to your question is yes.

The purpose of the aligning process is to make marks from different years comparable between years.

ajdlinux

HSC
That student is at the borderline which means that the judges think that that standard should get 50/100. That is actually the very bottom of a Band 2 response and you can tell because at the top is says Band1/2 meaning that that is the borderline Band 2 response.

I have had a quite capable student get a Band 1 once. He got 49/100 because he accidentally did two questions from the same section and therefore left out a section, meaning that he left out 25% of the paper.
Yes, borderline, I stand corrected. Still close enough to a band 1 though...

And that's really unfortunate for that student. I made that mistake back in year 8 when I missed an entire page, and I'm not going to make it again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)