Raw mark needed for a Band 4 in standard english? (1 Viewer)

suraya91

HSC
Well, pretty much what the title says...
anyone got any idea?

shady145

Banned
HSC
well a band 4 i think is around raw 55-60%
my english teacher tells me the average mark of std student=6/20 which is just depressing XD
anyways, so if averaging 6/20, well change it to a %.=30%
so my teacher who marks HSC's saying the average std student gets 30%. i looked on BOS and looked at the median mark, which is around 66 aligned
so 30%=66 aligned,
my estimate of 55-60% might be off, but i think my teacher is slightly off

xFusion

HSC
well a band 4 i think is around raw 55-60%
my english teacher tells me the average mark of std student=6/20 which is just depressing XD
anyways, so if averaging 6/20, well change it to a %.=30%
so my teacher who marks HSC's saying the average std student gets 30%. i looked on BOS and looked at the median mark, which is around 66 aligned
so 30%=66 aligned,
my estimate of 55-60% might be off, but i think my teacher is slightly off
Wow I was thinking there was no way I could get a band 4 since i got like 50% for trials(yes I know I'm shit at English).

suraya91

HSC
Wow I was thinking there was no way I could get a band 4 since i got like 50% for trials(yes I know I'm shit at English).
I hear ya mate, I absolutely suck at English for some reason, got 55% in trials but if that ends up aligning to a Band 4 i wont be complaining lol
I do practise essays and stuff and i even got a teacher and a tutor to check it and they highlighted where i need improving but apparently im better than the average standard student, meaning i can hit 60% with no problem.
But when it comes to the marking, they are completely ridiculous (and might I add, MATHEMATICALLY WRONG!)
Example:
For Module C in the trials (Billy Elliot essay) it is out of 20. The outcomes are divided into 5 main bands (bands 2-6) and each band contains 4 of the same outcome, but obviously the better you do the better you score at each outcome. Now, in my response i was given 3 out of 4 outcomes in the band 5 category, whereas the other outcome sat in the band 4 category. Then, tell me how, if a band 5 response ranges from 13-16/20, that I got a 13/20 as my final mark if THREE of the four outcomes ticked were in the band 5 box, and only ONE lay in band 4 and that dragged me to the lowest mark in the band 5 category. Mathematically speaking, I should've got a 15.
But there you go, English marking is absolutely rubbish in my opinion.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
There's no strict rule that says one-mark-per-outcome, the marker is within their rights to use discretion to award marks in accordance with those guidelines. The HSC marking is done with multiple markers and advisory committees and stuff like that so, supposedly, it's fairly consistent.

robm

HSC
out of curiosity what would be the raw mark for a band 6 in standard, i know its hard but i still want to know

suraya91

HSC
There's no strict rule that says one-mark-per-outcome, the marker is within their rights to use discretion to award marks in accordance with those guidelines. The HSC marking is done with multiple markers and advisory committees and stuff like that so, supposedly, it's fairly consistent.
Well I hope you're right (especially being consistent) because to be honest our teachers (most of them, especially the one that marked this section) are total pricks and mark damn hard...but think about it, one outcome in b4 cant bring you to the bottom of a b5 response, its just unreasonable. And I tried arguing my case but it's like I was talking to a brick wall.
arghhh cant wait till the end of this, wont have to sit another english exam ever

ajdlinux

HSC
Yes, yes it can, because there's no rule that says how many outcomes have to be in this category and how many have to be in that category to get a particular mark within a range. cem can correct me on this, but as far as I understand, within a given mark range the markers can choose the precise mark based on the overall quality of it and how it meets the standards.

(I hate English too, I'm hoping to get a high band 4 or a low band 5 if I do excellently, but I'm not so sure about that right now. :( )

xFusion

HSC
I hear ya mate, I absolutely suck at English for some reason, got 55% in trials but if that ends up aligning to a Band 4 i wont be complaining lol
I do practise essays and stuff and i even got a teacher and a tutor to check it and they highlighted where i need improving but apparently im better than the average standard student, meaning i can hit 60% with no problem.
But when it comes to the marking, they are completely ridiculous (and might I add, MATHEMATICALLY WRONG!)
Example:
For Module C in the trials (Billy Elliot essay) it is out of 20. The outcomes are divided into 5 main bands (bands 2-6) and each band contains 4 of the same outcome, but obviously the better you do the better you score at each outcome. Now, in my response i was given 3 out of 4 outcomes in the band 5 category, whereas the other outcome sat in the band 4 category. Then, tell me how, if a band 5 response ranges from 13-16/20, that I got a 13/20 as my final mark if THREE of the four outcomes ticked were in the band 5 box, and only ONE lay in band 4 and that dragged me to the lowest mark in the band 5 category. Mathematically speaking, I should've got a 15.
But there you go, English marking is absolutely rubbish in my opinion.
We don't even get the marking criteria with all the a/e outcomes. We just get a mark, usually marked by 2 English teachers. And then you just think wth did I do wrong to achieve this shit mark? since most of the teachers provide no feedback/unreadable feedback.. and they say my writing is hard to read >_<

Schoey93

HSC
pretty low is the answer to the question. It's Standard, so a bit higher than for say; not Advanced English... or maybe. But Physics would require LOWER raw marks.

So S.E. requires about... imma say 59/105.

Schoey93

HSC
Yes, yes it can, because there's no rule that says how many outcomes have to be in this category and how many have to be in that category to get a particular mark within a range. cem can correct me on this, but as far as I understand, within a given mark range the markers can choose the precise mark based on the overall quality of it and how it meets the standards.

(I hate English too, I'm hoping to get a high band 4 or a low band 5 if I do excellently, but I'm not so sure about that right now. :( )

If we didn't have English or languages how would a mathematician, say, like YOU - do his maths?

It would be very hard. Although one could argue that language is a mathematical model...

:cool: lol.

ajdlinux

HSC
If we didn't have English or languages how would a mathematician, say, like YOU - do his maths?

It would be very hard. Although one could argue that language is a mathematical model...

:cool: lol.
Okay, I don't hate English, I hate Higher School Certificate English (Standard) (15130). :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)