What happens if you have a low school rank but do well in the exams? (1 Viewer)

Seventeen

HSC
I'm ranked near the bottom for just about all my subjects (eg 38/44 in Chemisry, 42/45 in Maths 3U), but plan on getting fairly high marks for my final exams. So far I think I've done pretty well in English Paper 1- if I continue this trend what kind of ATAR might I be looking at? Assuming I actually did do well in English that is. I know my final score will depend on how well my school group does, so what kind of average marks do the people near the end usually get in the exams? Is 60 realistic? Thanks in advance. Edit: My school in 2008 was ranked 25 - 30 if that helps. Double edit: Subjects are: English Advanced Maths 2U Maths Extension 1 Hospitality Chemistry Society and Culture Also, Hospitality's final score is based 100% on the external exam. For some reason my line breaks keep on dissappearing, so sorry if this is hard to read.

Last edited:

Cloesd

HSC
Your HSC mark is the average of your internal and your external.

Your external being what you get in these exams.

Your internal being what someone roughly at your (internal) rank is getting in these exams.

At at a #25 school you should be fine, just do well for the externals and expect high 80s.. perhaps even mid 90s.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Do you really have to ask? Your school mark counts for half. Now unless you have a really pro cohort, you're going to get a poor ATAR even if you do really well.
Expect the 70s or low 80s if you do really really well.

P.S. type < br > or < p > (without the spaces) for line breaks.

Ausy

HSC
Don't break his balls, and if your schools rank is consistent then your probably gonna have a pro cohort again. So even if your assessment ranks are low at a good school it's much better then someone ranked highly at a "bad" school.

Seventeen

HSC
Sorry, yes I did have to ask. I know how the system works but I wasn't sure what kind of mark people like me get on average.
So to hear 70 - 80 makes me feel a lot better, thanks everyone :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)