Raw marks FOI question (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
So I have a few questions regarding our raw marks.
We still have to pay $30 and request for it, am I right? I'm not too clear on what the consequences of the Ombudsman's report are.
If we do have to fill out a FOI application, when do we do it? After we finish our HSC or when we receive our HSC results?
Thanks

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As you are not automatically getting your raw marks you will have to still pay as their is work to be by some clerical people so 'user pays'.

You won't get an automatic FOI form as the BOS still doesn't want people knowing these things.

The process will remain the same as the past but will take less time and far less fight.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
cem is correct. At present you still need to use FOI as the Board hasn't implemented the Ombudsman's recommendation of establishing a separate marks request system as yet, which may happen this year, or may not. Writing an FOI application isn't a difficult task at all, it's just a matter of phrasing the requests correctly according to what it is you're looking for. Also if you're under 18 or have certain Centrelink concessions you can get a 50% discount.

ajdlinux

HSC
Cool
So when do I do it?
You can basically do it any time that the Board of Studies 'holds' the 'documents' you are after. You could probably send it away in the second week of December, since by then they're announcing state rankings so obviously they have the results you're looking for.

I'm intending to ask for my raw exam marks, weighted exam marks, total weighted mark, initial school assessment mark, initial moderated school assessment mark, as well as my actual exam writing booklets and copies of any marking sheets still in their possession.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You can basically do it any time that the Board of Studies 'holds' the 'documents' you are after. You could probably send it away in the second week of December, since by then they're announcing state rankings so obviously they have the results you're looking for.

I'm intending to ask for my raw exam marks, weighted exam marks, total weighted mark, initial school assessment mark, initial moderated school assessment mark, as well as my actual exam writing booklets and copies of any marking sheets still in their possession.

I doubt if you would be able to get the marking sheets as they aren't individual (at least not in the subject that I mark - Modern History).

We get one page with 20 student numbers on them and we write the mark on that page. In addition we have to put our marker number on them so again that page could be used to identify the marker and as a result I do think that the actual marking sheets don't qualify due to privacy protection.

You do realise that the markers don't actually write on the booklets as well I assume.

ajdlinux

HSC
Yes, I realise they don't do anything to the writing booklets beyond crossing a line through each page, I think.

Even if there are privacy issues with other identification numbers on them, they are still obliged to consider an application and consult with the people affected to get their views on whether it qualifies for release. They might deny me access on grounds of excessive cost, but they probably have to keep the marksheets in order to do the clerical rechecks anyway.

bayan92

HSC
I emailed the BOS and received the following reply:

You requested via email, information as to whether the Board of Studies will be releasing a formal and easier process for obtaining:

• total weighted mark
  • initial moderated assessment mark
  • mark in each Question or Section
  • state ranking
  • official marking criteria
  • full examination scripts
At present, the only mechanism for obtaining the information is via a Freedom of Information application. The matter which you raised is currently under consideration by the Board of Studies.

Regards

Stephen Parkes
Senior Records and Information Officer
Office of the Board of Studies
Level 5, 117 Clarence Street, Sydney, NSW 2000
GPO Box 5300, Sydney NSW 2001
t. 02 9367 8360 | f. 02 9367 8482
e. stephen.parkes@bos.nsw.edu.au | Home - Board of Studies NSW

ajdlinux

HSC
Thanks for that advice, bayan92! I was meaning to enquire into that myself. For the record, Stephen Parkes is at present their FOI Coordinator, so I assume that what he says is probably right.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If your request is limited to personal information - that is, your own marks or scripts, rather than general marking criteria etc - you should be able to make a request under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 2002 (NSW) instead of the FOI Act.

Requests under that Act are free, and could probably even be made via email (if sent from your DET or school email address, or a signature or some other form of identification were to be included).

There are no particular requirements for such requests. They don't need to be in writing or accompanied by a fee. You just need to satisfy them that you're the individual to whom the information relates.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well then who puts the lines through each page on some of the samples that appear in the standards packages?

edit: http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...20/files/samples/qexemplar/qexemplar_q21a.pdf - that's an example of what I mean.
You are correct that a line through the page, or these days a small tick in the top right hand corner is made but that is all.

The reason is to indicate that the marker had read the script, although no mark doesn't mean that it hasn't been read but rather that the marker forgot to put the line/tick on the page.

ajdlinux

HSC
If your request is limited to personal information - that is, your own marks or scripts, rather than general marking criteria etc - you should be able to make a request under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 2002 (NSW) instead of the FOI Act.

Requests under that Act are free, and could probably even be made via email (if sent from your DET or school email address, or a signature or some other form of identification were to be included).

There are no particular requirements for such requests. They don't need to be in writing or accompanied by a fee. You just need to satisfy them that you're the individual to whom the information relates.
The disadvantage of using the PPIPA s14 is that there's no explicit timeframe for them to respond, they just can't delay you 'excessively', whereas under FOI they have 21 days. Also, I'm not sure what the reference to 'excessive ... expense' in s14 means.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The disadvantage of using the PPIPA s14 is that there's no explicit timeframe for them to respond, they just can't delay you 'excessively', whereas under FOI they have 21 days. Also, I'm not sure what the reference to 'excessive ... expense' in s14 means.
Yes, that's true - they're both good points.

For those students who can't or don't want to spend $30, or don't mind an indeterminate timeframe, it's an alternative option though.

helper

HSC
N/A
You are correct that a line through the page, or these days a small tick in the top right hand corner is made but that is all.

The reason is to indicate that the marker had read the script, although no mark doesn't mean that it hasn't been read but rather that the marker forgot to put the line/tick on the page.
That must also depend on the subject. In the sciences, there is no marks placed on any paper, no matter how many pages the answer is.

ajdlinux

HSC
That must also depend on the subject. In the sciences, there is no marks placed on any paper, no matter how many pages the answer is.
Yeah, I've noticed that it doesn't happen with all subjects. It may be specific to certain marking centres or something where they have particular administrative requirements.

Lazarus said:
Yes, that's true - they're both good points.

For those students who can't or don't want to spend $30, or don't mind an indeterminate timeframe, it's an alternative option though.
Definitely. I wonder if we can get someone to put in a PPIP request right now, so we can see how long OBOS will take in responding to them. I believe PPIP requests are handled directly by the responsible branch whereas FOI requests are determined by a senior executive, so it may be quicker or it may be slower.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Interesting

Although this thread makes me feel a bit cheap for trying to save $30..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)