Curious about state ranks + tied rank 1 (1 Viewer)

elmoateme

HSC
I was just randomly wondering, what happens when 2 people are tied for rank 1 internally in a subject and they get different external marks? Do they both get the same internal mark or does the one who did better externally get the better internal mark as well? Also, at my school in year 12, theres only about half a mark difference between first and second rank in physics, 2u maths and english. All these kids are insanely good and have a really good chance achieving a state ranking, a high state ranking. Say 2nd place got full marks externally would she be first in state if the two tied in overall HSC mark? Essentially what I want to know is how state ranks are determined. Any insight to satisfy my rather whimsical request would be greatly appreciated. :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
When two or more students are tied for first place internally the BOS averages the equivalent number of external marks to determine the mark moderated assessment mark for them e.g.

two equal firsts get 98 and 90 for their HSC then both will get a moderated assessment mark of 94 so one student gets a final HSC mark of 96 and the other 92.

three equal firsts get 98, 92 and 90 they all get a moderated mark of 93 plus their own exam marks so 96, 93 and 91 as the final marks.

tku336

HSC
In our school, people who have come 2nd or 3rd or worse have topped the state as long as the gap is big enough (e.g. Pope was 7th in Latin and topped the state) if that helps?

elmoateme

HSC
Thanks for the help. So Im assuming state ranks are simply determined on the highest overall HSC marks?

tku336

HSC
Does anyone know if state ranks are determined from OVERALL HSC, or EXTERNAL HSC? I know that in the same school, it's determined from overall HSC, but for different schools does that change?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I used to think that HSC state rank was based on external mark. But it turned out it is not true. HSC state rank is based on both internal and external mark.

tku336

HSC
To be fair then, our average in latin last year was like 96ish, and we had 30odd people doing it. So his internal would have been 98-99ish considering our state ranks. Vallance topped Latin internally (but didnt top Ancient Greek internally, lol). Menzies was 2nd or 3rd internally in latin.

Kikkoman

HSC
Cheese and crackers, your school's ranks sound pretty confusing from internal -> state! How did Emmanuel go internally, do you know? Came 3rd in state, but maybe not within your school. And seriously, wazzup with Thomas Vallance doing 4 languages?!?! French, English, Latin and Greek, all with extension. I mean, I know he's the headmaster's son and all (an expert in classics, right), but really... =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)