State ranks? (1 Viewer)

elmoateme

HSC
Just curious, what kind of hsc marks are required to get a state rank in different kinds of subjects. I was just wondering because someone said today at school that their sister came like top 10 in the state for business but only got a mark of 94. It just seemed kind of low to me considering a guy at our school got 100 in 3u maths and 99 in 4u and didnt rank for either of them. I understand that there would be a bias considering the candidature and scaling of 3 & 4 u maths as opposed to business.

swathard

HSC
Just curious, what kind of hsc marks are required to get a state rank in different kinds of subjects. I was just wondering because someone said today at school that their sister came like top 10 in the state for business but only got a mark of 94. It just seemed kind of low to me considering a guy at our school got 100 in 3u maths and 99 in 4u and didnt rank for either of them. I understand that there would be a bias considering the candidature and scaling of 3 & 4 u maths as opposed to business.
I don't know how that could be possible? My sister got 94 for business studies in 2008 and did not get a state place. So I don't know how that works.

Ummmm. yeah, the marks required for state ranks will often varying depending on the strength of the candiature, and also based on what the trends are in terms of the highest mark awarded in a particular subject. Also the difficulty of the paper probably has some bearing on this too.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
That sounds pretty bullshit - getting a state ranking with a mark of 94.
For Business Studies - past trends indicate you should be looking at a 97/98 overall mark if you want a state rank.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
in 3 unit maths, u need to get high 100 to get state rank (LOL)...because they give 100 to more than 10 people.

for 4 unit, if u get high 99, you will get state rank.

for 2 unit, if u get 100, ur prob the first in the state and high 99 is also required here to give u state rank.

btw, 94 in biz =/= state rank LOL.

my friend got 97 in biz and didn't get a state rank. that is saying something.

elmoateme

HSC
Thanks I thought she was pretty full of shit... the girl who said it tends to be a bit attention seeking like that, exaggerating and lying and all. Oh well, what about for other subjects like the sciences or languages?

jet

Banned
HSC
For cosmology the marks probably would have been 95+ for a state rank (top 5). Though I could be wrong since we don't find out our actual mark.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
96 (aligned) in Biology this year was a State rank. The standard for a state rank dropped a bit last year; probably due to the change in question types.

jet

Banned
HSC
96 (aligned) in Biology this year was a State rank. The standard for a state rank dropped a bit last year; probably due to the change in question types.
That was an absolutely ridiculous exam and I was very disappointed when it was over.

blackratpoo

HSC
what did you get jetblack? 96 aligned would like = 91/92ish raw wouldnt it? a state rank in bio suddenly seems achievable - or was that a one-off?

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
96 in business was a state rank.

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
what did you get jetblack? 96 aligned would like = 91/92ish raw wouldnt it? a state rank in bio suddenly seems achievable - or was that a one-off?
State ranks are usually available when you get 96, and I've heard of it before.

I'll tell you raw --> aligned when I get my raw marks back.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
State ranks are usually available when you get 96, and I've heard of it before.

I'll tell you raw --> aligned when I get my raw marks back.
I thought that you always needed at least a 97 to get a State Rank in sciences for the past few years.

Jetblack what did you get for Biology and Chemistry anyway?

At least the standard for a state rank in Legal Studies rose. 97 has been a state rank in it for the past 5 years but in 2009 some kids who got 98 didn't even get a state rank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)