examination and assessment marks (1 Viewer)

xandersnape

HSC
I dont understand the different marks you get. I just looked up mine on hscresults.nsw.edu.au and I know the HSC mark is the final mark... but what distinguishes the assessment mark and the examination mark?

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I dont under stand the different marks you get. I just looked up mine on hscresults.nsw.edu.au and I know the HSC mark is the final mark... but what distinguishes the assessment mark and the examination mark?

The assessment mark is the moderated mark based on the assessments you did at school and that your school sent into the BOS.

The examination mark is the aligned exam mark that you earned in the exams that you sat in October and November.

The final HSC mark is the average of these two marks.

swathard

HSC
The assessment mark is the moderated mark based on the assessments you did at school and that your school sent into the BOS.

The examination mark is the aligned exam mark that you earned in the exams that you sat in October and November.

The final HSC mark is the average of these two marks.
Yep, this is correct. But might I also add that you will get the assessment mark that corresponds to your rank and the performance in the HSC exam (i.e. if you're ranked 10th, you will get the 10th best HSC exam mark as your assessment mark, and then you will receive your individual exam mark as your exam mark.)

Take the average of these two marks, and you get your final HSC mark. :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yep, this is correct. But might I also add that you will get the assessment mark that corresponds to your rank and the performance in the HSC exam (i.e. if you're ranked 10th, you will get the 10th best HSC exam mark as your assessment mark, and then you will receive your individual exam mark as your exam mark.)

Take the average of these two marks, and you get your final HSC mark. :)

NO.

You do NOT necessarily get the 10th best exam mark as your assessment mark.

The top exam mark and the bottom exam mark are the ones that set the parameters of the moderated assessment marks (although we had two courses at my school this year where the top assessment mark was higher than the top exam mark by one mark and another where the bottom mark was higher by one mark).

The next step is that the total exam marks are added to work out the total assessment marks available to the cohort so if the cohort earned 1400 marks in the exam then there are 1400 marks to be awarded as the moderated assessment marks.

These marks are then awarded using the ranks and gaps between students.

The only exam marks that are used 99% of the time are the top and bottom. All other assessment marks are determined using the ranks AND the gaps between the ranks of the students.

So if the gap in the exam is 1 mark between first and second but the school had them 20 marks apart the assessment mark will still reflect that 20 mark gap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)