do my subjects scale well?

i do:

2u maths
2u SOR
adv english
ancient history
economics

its only 10 units

but im aiming for an ATAR of around 84-85.

i was wondering how well these scale?
and how well would i have to do in them to get that score?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Re: do my subjects scale well?

Your subjects scale ok - not good or great by any means aside from economics. But an ATAR of 90 is achievable with your subjects and the higher your marks, the less scaling will matter. Just work smart and with a little luck you'll get your ATAR aim :)

adriano_negr0

HSC

i think that SOR 2 unit and economics scale well
the others scale average

go to the matrix atar calculator and type in afew scores for ur subs and play around with it abit

humbenj

HSC
still confused about the HSC???

my school kind of sucks at explaining what happens with the HSC.

i do 10 units (2u maths, adv eng, ancient history, economics and 2u SOR)
i only got 60% in the first assessment in both english and ancient history (but that was about the average mark for both)
and i only got 67% in my first maths assessment (i beat the average)

they were all worth 15% but i heard somewhere that, that is only 7.5% or something in the end.

my schools tests are said to be about 10-15% harder than those of the rest of the state.

i was disappointed with my marks, however i know i am 6th in my class for maths (like 18th/60-65) and i can do better (thats EXCLUDING 3u boys)
likewise, in english i am ranked around 15th-25th/92 out of the adv boys, excluding the extension students.

i am aiming at around 84+ ATAR

so i have a few questions:
- does someones ATAR include them against extension students (in like maths and english) when it comes to scaling?
- because my school is supposedly 10-15% harder than some others will that be taken into account?

thanks

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Re: still confused about the HSC???

i only got 60% in the first assessment in both english and ancient history (but that was about the average mark for both)

they were all worth 15% but i heard somewhere that, that is only 7.5% or something in the end.

my schools tests are said to be about 10-15% harder than those of the rest of the state.

i was disappointed with my marks, however i know i am 6th in my class for maths (like 18th/60-65) and i can do better (thats EXCLUDING 3u boys)
likewise, in english i am ranked around 15th-25th/92 out of the adv boys, excluding the extension students.

- does someones ATAR include them against extension students (in like maths and english) when it comes to scaling?
- because my school is supposedly 10-15% harder than some others will that be taken into account?

thanks

1. no, except in english where its your 'best 2 units of english'.
2. your marks dont really count, it's what your rank is.
just make sure you have a high rank, and study your arse off for the HSC exam

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

thanks
In the end, your results are 50% internal assessments, and 50% external exams.

Or something like that. =]

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

humbenj

HSC

ilikebeeef

HSC

i do:

2u maths
2u SOR
adv english
ancient history
economics

its only 10 units

They scale well enough. Work with decent effort in them and you'll be fine.

humbenj

HSC

rank within the school.

rank within the state also matters, but not as much
but on that, if my school is setting tests that are say 10-15% harder than most of the state then shouldn't we be scaled in respect to school as well?

or what does the school part mean, because i heard somewhere that if you are like at a school, who set tests which are harder than another school, shouldn't that be taken into account?

ilikebeeef

HSC

but on that, if my school is setting tests that are say 10-15% harder than most of the state then shouldn't we be scaled in respect to school as well?

or what does the school part mean, because i heard somewhere that if you are like at a school, who set tests which are harder than another school, shouldn't that be taken into account?
The BOS takes your school cohort's HSC results and uses the ranks to allocate the assessment marks.

Tofuu

HSC

i do:

2u maths
2u SOR
adv english
ancient history
economics

its only 10 units

your subjects are decent in terms of scaling (eco has pretty good scaling)
you prob only need mid band 5 in each to get 84-85 ATAR

Tofuu

HSC

thanks
the marks do not matter, ranks internally do
its because they take into consideration the different difficulties tests in school have (since they're different)

humbenj

HSC
how hard is it to get an ATAR of 84+ if your school is about 10% harder than what state exams are and if you about an average student there?

my school is 18th in the state for english, so im guessing like top 100 or something

Last edited:

ValentinesM

HSC
how hard is it to get an ATAR of 84+ if your school is about 10% harder than what state exams are and if you about an average student there?
just work as hard as you can, get the best ranking you can and your efforts will pay off when it comes to the ATAR. 84+ should be quite achievable then.

EvoRevolution

HSC
Ok will let me tell u this to make u fell better about the HSC. If u are doin hard subjects e.g. chem, phys, 4u, 3u, eng advanced and u get 70+ in chem, phy and eng and 80s in 4u and 3u... u will def get atar of 85 +. But if u r doin shit subjects then it is harder. For example one of my dads friends daughter did shiter sub then me, she go band 6s in most of her subj and i didnt get any 6s and i still bet here atar wise. So just work hard and you should easily get it.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Ok will let me tell u this to make u fell better about the HSC. If u are doin hard subjects e.g. chem, phys, 4u, 3u, eng advanced and u get 70+ in chem, phy and eng and 80s in 4u and 3u... u will def get atar of 85 +. But if u r doin shit subjects then it is harder. For example one of my dads friends daughter did shiter sub then me, she go band 6s in most of her subj and i didnt get any 6s and i still bet here atar wise. So just work hard and you should easily get it.
First of all you should not refer to low-scaling subjects as "shit", because the term is subjective. Sure, you may find some humanities not worth the scaling, but people who ace humanities won't have that experience. The difficulty of a certain subject for a person really depends on the person doing it, as I said in my previous post.

But otherwise you are right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)