A personal question. (1 Viewer)

idan

HSC
I know this has been explained various times but i'd like a bit of a personal explaination. The subjects I am doing are:

Mathematics (2U)
Business Studies (2U)
Legal Studies (2U)
Physics (2U)
English Adv. (2U)
Software Design & Dev. (2U)
Studies of Religion (1U)

I hear that Business Studies is terrible scaling, I'm pretty sure that you only need 10 units in year 12 so I'll drop BS. Are there any other subjects that scale pretty low? I'm looking for a UAI of above 91, with the subjects I've selected, will it be difficult? Approximately how high would my grades have to be?

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
85+ for each course should give you a UAI above 91.

By the way, don't concern yourself over scaling.. and especially don't drop anything if you're good at it. I did General Maths and IPT (which both don't scale too well) and I got above 91.

Lainee

HSC
If the sole reason you want to drop it is because of the scaling, you shouldn't. :) It's only scaled down a very small amount, and if you're doing well at it like honky tonk said, you'll be better off keeping it.

idan

HSC
Well the reason i'd be dropping it is obviously that it is my worst subject due to scaling. Wouldn't I want to do the subjects I get the higher marks in?

Last edited:

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Yes but if you found business studies easy in your preliminary year and ur confident that you will do well,
Then really there is no reason for you to drop it, unless of course your bored of it or whatever...
Most people do subjects for scaling.
You could in your HSC get 92 for business and get say 82 for physics....
In this case, it would be better to do business rather than physics (which obviously scales higher)
I'm just giving you something to think about.
So yeh......... think about it :D

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I acctually think you should drop SDD, it takes heaps of time, due to major project and the scaling is just as shit

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Drop the subject that you know you will do worst in the HSC in. Especially if you are bored with the subject. You know yourself how you went in prelim so that should be a guide.

J0n

N/A
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
I acctually think you should drop SDD, it takes heaps of time, due to major project and the scaling is just as shit
I would say pretty much the opposite - i agree it has shit scaling, but if you like it, keep it.

I dunno about the major project taking so long, because our teacher decided that it was not so 'major', and just gave us 17 hours in class to do it in term1 so it really didn't make any difference.

Also SDD requires minimal study, so unless you get really bad marks in it or need the free periods, just keep it.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Are there any other subjects that scale pretty low
They all scale pretty low, except english adv, and to a lesser extent, legal, and phys

but like its said before, u shouldnt drop subjects on the basis of scaling. Find a compromise between scaling and your own competence in the subject in question and judge from that whether to drop it or not.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i agree with the sdd comments.. from my friends doing sdd at my school and other schools.. there arent many great sdd teachers and most of the stuff has to be learned at home..
have u even started year 11? u should actually do ur subjects before deciding to drop one just because of scaling..
you could find that you really enjoy business and legal but hate physics or something
use the 6 weeks u have to drop subjects wisely..

idan

HSC
I'm starting your 11 this year, I'm only going to drop my worst subject, that'd be the logical thing to do.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
yep.. i dropped geography (not only was it my worst subject but my really nice teacher went on leave and left us with a lost woman) and ive been happier ever since
gotta love walking past the class in free periods

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jm1234567890
Probably the best suggestion here

Also SDD requires minimal study
Shut up

santaslayer

HSC
85+ for all subjects but definatley 90+ for legal to get u into 91...thats wot exactly happened to me..... :-]

santaslayer

HSC
oh yea..my subs that were counted were...biz,eco,legal,adv eng and 2U RE
word of advice: never drop RE unless ur really crap at it, excellent scaling for a subject u can sleep thru

fringey

HSC
yeah i did:
bst
drama
eng adv
math adv
bio
sor 1 unit

And got 95.2
(1 unit of maths didn't count)
So don't worry- do what course you like and don't stress about scaling

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi idan.

If Business is one of your best units, don't drop it. Don't something that you know you will get a bad mark in the HSC despite how much you try.

I did 12 units with no extension courses like you and got over 91.
basically, to get over 91, I suggest you to get at least 2 Band 6 and 2 band 5.

To get over 95 UAI, you need at least 3 band 6, and 1 band 5. (which is what I got).

Good Luck!

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
To get over 95 UAI, you need at least 3 band 6, and 1 band 5. (which is what I got).
Not necessarily, you could all 89's and get well above 95 UAI. It depends on your subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)