URGENT - scaling/capping - never b4 seen :) (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
hey guys im doing family studies and im kinda concerned about the scaling of it, more importantly the capping of it....

from what i understand... capping is in place so the hard-working people can't just bludge out and do it (cuz its pretty damn easy) So they cap the subject...

So like currently the capping is at 90.8... which isn't too bad... but if it falls below 90... then its gonna be pretty gay, and could jeopordise me getting what i want... *serious*

So, all i want to know is... if the course average mark improves across the canditure.. does this mean that the cap will lower, as in get worse...for me...???

please help... thnx

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The cap is redone each year. How they do it I dont know but it is probably linked to the average aggregate.

aditya

HSC
yeh... thats wats worrying me... the fact that it gets redone each yr...

acidicFury

There is no 'capping' of subjects, the possible score that a student can attain in any subject is 100 - but to do so, a student must fufil the requirements.

I think you may be confused with scaling however, which is determined by the course canditature and naturally varies from year to year. If you place in the top percentiles for a poor scaling subject, the scaling effects of a poor scaling course should be minimal.

aditya

HSC
how can u say that ???

go read the scaling/capping secition on bored of studies...

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
The cap is redone each year. How they do it I dont know but it is probably linked to the average aggregate.
The maximum scaled mark (or 'cap') is linked to the scaled mean (i.e. the ability of the candidature) and the scaled standard deviation (i.e. the variability of the ability of the candidature). Most courses have a maximum scaled mark of 50 (on a 1-unit basis). Courses with a low scaled mean (i.e. a less able candidature) and/or a low scaled standard deviation (i.e. a candidature which, on average, does not deviate from being less able) will be capped with a maximum scaled mark less than 50.

The benchmark scaled mean and scaled standard deviation is derived from the ability of the combined Standard/Advanced English candidature, which constitutes the vast majority of the HSC cohort.

Originally posted by acidicFury
There is no 'capping' of subjects, the possible score that a student can attain in any subject is 100 - but to do so, a student must fufil the requirements.
In terms of Board-reported aligned marks, there is no capping - however, in 2001 the Technical Committee on Scaling began imposing maximum scaled marks on courses in order to dissuade very able students from 'dumbing down'. This has no effect on the marks reported by the Board, as they are entirely separate to and independent of scaled marks and the UAI.

Originally posted by aditya
So like currently the capping is at 90.8... which isn't too bad... but if it falls below 90... then its gonna be pretty gay, and could jeopordise me getting what i want... *serious*
The size of the candidature has been increasing in recent years - courses with larger candidatures generally tend to have relatively stable scaling parameters associated with them. It shouldn't change significantly.

Originally posted by aditya
So, all i want to know is... if the course average mark improves across the canditure.. does this mean that the cap will lower, as in get worse...for me...???
A change in the Board-reported aligned marks (i.e. those awarded according to the six performance bands) will have no effect on the maximum scaled mark. The cap will only decrease in 2004 if one of the following criteria is met:

a) the scaled mean is lower than in previous years, or

b) the scaled standard deviation is lower than in previous years, or

c) the scaled mean remains the same and the scaled mean for the combined Standard/Advanced English candidature increases, or

d) the scaled standard deviation remains the same and the scaled standard deviation for the combined Standard/Advanced English candidature increases.

Comments on those criteria:

a) this is the most likely to occur, but the scaled mean is not likely to change significantly, if at all.

b) this is also likely to occur, given that the candidature size has been increasing - however I see no reason for any significant change.

c, d) these are unlikely to occur given that the combined Standard/Advanced English candidature constitutes almost the entire HSC cohort.

An increase in the scaled mean can also compensate for a decrease in the scaled standard deviation and vice versa.

There isn't too much that you can do as an individual in order to influence the situation anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. :) Make sure you do well in your other courses, at the very least.

aditya

HSC
wow!

thanks man that cleared alot up...

i think the cap should be raised (better) becasue trends show more people are trying harder to get better...so this would raise the avg mark yeh?

newaiz... thanks again

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If the candidature as a whole actually succeeds in improving their overall performance, then yes, the cap will be raised. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)