other students understanding marks and uai (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
we are fortunate on this board as we are a lot more educated that a lot of people in the state on understanding our hsc marks and uai.

so has anyone found it amusing to hear people talk about how their uai was pulled down because: their school was bad (even though the student was first or near first in every subject) - i have heard this a few times

and one i want to check is - someone claims their friend, who failed every 2u maths exam, ended up with a good uai because everyone else in the 2u maths course at the school did well.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
and one i want to check is - someone claims their friend, who failed every 2u maths exam, ended up with a good uai because everyone else in the 2u maths course at the school did well.
The causal link is possible, however, the reasoning may be flawed. Note that the concept of 'failing' is not the same between courses, and makes no reference to a student's rank or the relative differences between students.

Rahul

Dead Member
i did not pass a 3u exam. and got a good 3u mark for hsc.

the difficulty of the exams must be taken into consideration. our ones were hard! stupid mrs arnold!! :p

santaslayer

HSC
i got 47% in my 2U RE trials...
turns out they gave me an 85 for the school assesment marks in the end......LoLz

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
we are fortunate on this board as we are a lot more educated that a lot of people in the state on understanding our hsc marks and uai.

so has anyone found it amusing to hear people talk about how their uai was pulled down because: their school was bad (even though the student was first or near first in every subject) - i have heard this a few times

if the relative diff. was small though this could still be possible rite? ie the student came 1st with a mark of 84 for their assesment and everyone else got 79 ie only 5 per cent diff.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
laz can answer that, but the school was a big school

Originally posted by Rahul
i did not pass a 3u exam. and got a good 3u mark for hsc.

the difficulty of the exams must be taken into consideration. our ones were hard! stupid mrs arnold!! :p
yeah, my 3u was scaled up a hell of a lot as well

but i should mention they said their uai was pulled down by general, and that they should have done 2u like their friend

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
mm i can say so about my mark for ext 1 maths and ext 2 maths. i barely passed (say 2 X 50% and a 47%) for ext 2 maths and i ended up with a good school assesment mark. i just bombed out in the exam to repeat it :) ext 1 i was rather suprised with my results. lets see what this year can bring :cold:

luckyduck

well.. just wondering if you people would know?
like if i failed all my assessments what kind of uai would i get?
liek would these assessment dramatically affect my uai?

and yeah like if i seriously started to work my ass off for the trail and hsc and did well .. but failed all my school assessment and my rank was on the bottom? what happens?

speersy

HSC
N/A
if you come first in your school in the exam your exam mark go to the the person who was ranked first and become their assesment mark. There is a page on this site that can help you further Click here

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
so has anyone found it amusing to hear people talk about how their uai was pulled down because: their school was
lol, I have to restrain myself from explaining it to them. I do make a point of explaining it to people BEFORE the HSC exams and what not, but say nothing afterwards when they are bitching about the marks due to the school, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)