Ranks Determine Marks for HSC?? (1 Viewer)

Xerxes123

HSC
Hey Guys,

I am getting pretty worried and stressed out about HSC. In regards to ranks i heard that they distribute marks according to your rank.
For example the top 10 ranks get the top 10 highest marks in the HSC exam when they moderate. Does this mean if I am rank 30/40 for example in business studies, but then i get 95 raw mark in the HSC exam and the 30th mark was 85, then i will get 85? If that makes sense??

Any advice would be appreciated!

enoilgam

HSC
You're sort of on the right track. Internal marks are determined primarily by a students position in their cohort - a persons position is made up of their ranking and the relative gaps between them and other students. It's also determined by the cohorts performance in the final exam. What happens is the person coming first internally receives the highest external mark from their cohort as their final internal mark - the same goes for the person coming last. Those in between receive a moderated mark based on their rank and the relative gaps between them and other students (so if second isnt far off first internally, then the final internal mark will reflect this). For a more detailed explanation, here is the official BoS explanation of the process http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html.

Xerxes123

HSC
meaning even if i get 95 raw mark in HSC, it wont make much of a difference if i were to get a 80 due to my shit rank?

Xerxes123

HSC
yeah but wont for example 9th rank get a higher mark and beat me in the end cause his rank is better?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah but wont for example 9th rank get a higher mark and beat me in the end cause his rank is better?
That's exclusively for the internal mark only.

Xerxes123

HSC
sorry guys lol... im just trying to make sense of this! So if i go into the HSC with a shit rank, my internal mark will be shit HOWEVER my ATAR could still be very good? e.g someone has a shit rank but gets raw marks of 95 in the final HSC exam. Can they still get a good ATAR or will the moderating process not allow for it happen?

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
In a situation like that, it's possible.

Remember, the external exam is the only thing which is standardised across the state so there's no reason for that mark to be adjusted. The value of your internal mark is determined by your ranks in your subjects and the performance of your fellow students at your school.

enoilgam

HSC
In a situation like that, it's possible.

Remember, the external exam is the only thing which is standardised across the state so there's no reason for that mark to be adjusted. The value of your internal mark is determined by your ranks in your subjects and the performance of your fellow students at your school.
This pretty much - I probably should have made myself more clear.

Web Addict

HSC
Does that mean that if I do really crap internally and I somehow manage to get one of the higher external marks, I can still get one of the higher HSC marks?

Xerxes123

HSC
Does that mean that if I do really crap internally and I somehow manage to get one of the higher external marks, I can still get one of the higher HSC marks?
well, a student from last year had reasonably shit ranks in school and performed pretty badly throughout the year receiving 40's 50's and 60's for half yearlies and trials. Then he smashed the HSC and received high 80's and low 90's in his exams and received an ATAR of 87.5 so this is why i was confused in the first place but yeah i guess so!

Web Addict

HSC
well, a student from last year had reasonably shit ranks in school and performed pretty badly throughout the year receiving 40's 50's and 60's for half yearlies and trials. Then he smashed the HSC and received high 80's and low 90's in his exams and received an ATAR of 87.5 so this is why i was confused in the first place but yeah i guess so!
Cool. There's hope for me now.

hunzasundal1

HSC
N/A
I'm in the exact same situation, my ranks are shit due to me slacking off and being unorganised, but if I work hard and do well in my externals, is an 80+ atar possible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)