internal rankings and state rank? (1 Viewer)

NFmusic1995

HSC
Hey guys i am 2nd in business studies at my school and really want to get a state rank, however i heard it is impossible unless the person who is first also gets a state rank?

is this true

SharkeyBoy

HSC
Kind of, pretty much, depends on your school rank if its really good. It'd be very difficult for you to get a state rank if the other person doesn't get one too

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Aren't state ranks based only on externals and not your ranks?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
It's based on your final HSC mark, so internal marks have an effect.

jaycoo50

HSC
But I thought internals are 50% of your final HSC mark...
of course bro, plus the other 50% in from HSC exam itself. So if you can get top ranks and perform well in HSC exam, you can get a state rank, it is possible but you have to study or can't be like I want a state rank and not work hard, it doesn't work this way. My brother state rank at james ruse for chemistry, he study really hard and was ranked 1.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Damn no chance for a state rank for me then

(ObliviousNinja come at me)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
If you are first in the exam (say you get 98) than the assessment mark of the person who was first internally will be 98. Say they get 92 externally your assessment mark will be 92. Your external mark will be 98 and their external mark will be 92. So I think if your both alternate first and second internally and externally your marks will both be 98 + 92 divided by two, thus the same? (this might be wrong, it's just my understanding of the system)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
If you are first in the exam (say you get 98) than the assessment mark of the person who was first internally will be 98. Say they get 92 externally your assessment mark will be 92. Your external mark will be 98 and their external mark will be 92. So I think if your both alternate first and second internally and externally your marks will both be 98 + 92 divided by two, thus the same? (this might be wrong, it's just my understanding of the system)
If you're second internally, it doesn't mean you'll immediately get the second highest external mark. You have to take into account the relative gaps as well.

Candidate

HSC
This is wrong. I believe the person who is ranked 1 gets the top external mark as their internal mark, and the person who is ranked last gets the worst external mark as their internal mark, and then everyone in the middle from second last to second place gets their internal marks adjusted between this range.

G0

HSC
why do u want a state rank in business??? its practically nothing of a subject.

Lina3

HSC
That's what I said...?
LOL sorry. For some reason I read it as "internal marks have no effect" my bad.

So theoretically, everyone around the state who is 1st in a particular course is in the running for a state rank in that course?

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
LOL sorry. For some reason I read it as "internal marks have no effect" my bad.

So theoretically, everyone around the state who is 1st in a particular course is in the running for a state rank in that course?
Nothing's stopping them from state ranking except for their capabilities

NFmusic1995

HSC
because i want to get a state rank in something but i stuffed up my trials because i had maths on the same day and i have weak stamina when i have 2 exams in oneday

D94

HSC
N/A
It's possible. You need to be as close as possible to first in terms of school marks, i.e. 1 mark different, and achieve the highest HSC exam mark of the state (or extremely close in decimals).

First rank does not necessarily achieve a state rank if you achieve a state rank. Half their HSC mark is dependent on their HSC exam performance.

kewon

HSC
If you're second internally, it doesn't mean you'll immediately get the second highest external mark. You have to take into account the relative gaps as well.
no im pretty sure that gaps count for jackshit, only ranks matter. you will definitely get the second highest external mark if you are second internally

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)