49/50 - Scaled or Aligned? (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

I often hear people say they got 49/50 or 99/100 for some subjects. Is this mark an aligned mark or a scaled mark?

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
I thought that top mark in a subject is always raw?? therefore 100/100 must be raw!!

Edit, I only thought that the highest raw mark in any subject is alined to itself, okay I'm wrong , we dont need all this camotion :)

I realise that a raw mark of 99 and a raw mark of 100 may both be alined to 100 :( maybe I'm wrong again!!

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Snapwizard
I thought that top mark in a subject is always raw?? therefore 100/100 must to raw!!
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought that top mark in a subject is always raw?? therefore 100/100 must to raw!!
By your logic, the top mark in a subject is expressed as a raw mark, and evryone else is scaled
This is incorrect

The mere fact that you dont get your raw marks means any mark you get from BOS is aligned to the bands

santaslayer

HSC
ahahaahahaa......:rofl:

Snaps sitting next to me at uni and im laughinfg my arse off! :uhhuh:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I think Snap meant that the full aligned mark (50/50 and 100/100) have derive from a full RAW mark.

You cannot have align mark as full mark if one's raw mark is not full. Something to do with interpolation...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
they take the raw mark you get in your exam and then move it to where it corresponds to the bands.

take maths for example, last years maths paper was very hard. so therefore a raw mark of 60/120, although = 50%, may have been equal to a band 6. therefore they could align it to 90/100.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Or take for example Lazarus' marks.

Physics - RAW Mark - 75/100
Aligned mark - 85/100

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by Ragerunner
Or take for example Lazarus' marks.

Physics - RAW Mark - 75/100
Aligned mark - 85/100

how did laz get access to his raw marks btw.???

from what ive read and what ive been told:
1. if you come first in your school, then you don't really get affected by aligning because u get the top mark anyway.
2. if u come in the top 5% or thereabouts, and there's a relatively small difference between the students at the top, u won't really be affected greatly by aligning.

are these two statements true??

btw. what would be the difference in scaled marks between a person who came 1st in a subject and a person who came 20th, for instance? would there be much more than 0.5 between them?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
1) You do get affected by aligning. Everyone's raw marks are aways aligned. When you are ranked first you always receive the top mark. And that top mark is an aligned mark.

2) You do not need top X%. In all cases, if the relative difference between every student is very small, they'd most likely receive very similar moderated assessment marks.

Since HSC marks are rounded up, it'd have to be at least 1 mark away from the top.

kpq_sniper017

1) You do get affected by aligning. Everyone's raw marks are aways aligned. When you are ranked first you always receive the top mark. And that top mark is an aligned mark.
assuming you get top in ur school, and top in the hsc exam (out of ur class) - that's what i actually meant, my mistake. then you aren't really affected by aligning.
i.e. u get 1st in maths in ur school, then u get 100% in the hsc exam. then no matter what the average is or the relative difference, u'll finish with an aligned mark of 100....??

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
But a full raw mark cannot be aligned to a lower aligned mark.

So therefore, the full raw mark is automatically "aligned" to a full aligned mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)