Help! MATHS CONFUSION (1 Viewer)

ayacn

HSC
N/A
Hi, I need clarification!
I'm an accelerated student who did 2U Maths this year. I am planning to do 4unit maths next year so does this mean that my 2U mark does not count AT ALL?
What happens if my 2U mark ends up being higher than my 4U mark? Do they still take the 4U mark regardless or is it the best units of maths? :confused2:

Thank you!

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
heard something about 3u and 4u doubling up and 2u not counting. If you do worse in 4u than 2u, then it won't count 4u and only 3u+2u. However if you're doing 10 units with 4u it will automatically count it (but not 2u) since you can't be brought down to 9 units!

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
Malcolm that is false.
OP i did 2u and 3u in year 11 as well so i can confirm this is what happens. When you sit the 4u hsc it will be as though you did not sit the 2u hsc.

photastic

HSC
Malcolm that is false.
OP i did 2u and 3u in year 11 as well so i can confirm this is what happens. When you sit the 4u hsc it will be as though you did not sit the 2u hsc.
+ 1 Dw, your 4u result will be worth more so don't stop this from letting you not pursuing it.

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
+ 1 Dw, your 4u result will be worth more so don't stop this from letting you not pursuing it.
This definitely.
Doing 4u was the best choice i made (along with repeating 3u)
Not to mention that as an accelerant math is clearly a strength for you so its extemely beneficial to have 40% of your atar come from the best scaling subjects in the hsc, both of which play to your strength.
That + 4u is an amazing subject. Every minute of work i spent on it (not much till trials unfortunately), was enjoyed thoroughly

WhoStanLeee

HSC
Hi, I need clarification!
I'm an accelerated student who did 2U Maths this year. I am planning to do 4unit maths next year so does this mean that my 2U mark does not count AT ALL?
What happens if my 2U mark ends up being higher than my 4U mark? Do they still take the 4U mark regardless or is it the best units of maths? :confused2:

Thank you!
If you end up dropping 4U math to 3U then your 2U Mark will come into consideration for your ATAR. Unless you bomb out of 4U (which I think is highly unlikely) your scaled 4U mark will still be higher than your 2U mark, making it more economical to take into consideration for the 10 best units contributing to the HSC.

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
If you end up dropping 4U math to 3U then your 2U Mark will come into consideration for your ATAR. Unless you bomb out of 4U (which I think is highly unlikely) your scaled 4U mark will still be higher than your 2U mark, making it more economical to take into consideration for the 10 best units contributing to the HSC.
Pretty much.
Only exception is 2 kids i know who got 99 in 2U (state rank). They didnt take 4u for that reason

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Malcolm that is false.
On this note, the reason why this happens is because when your ATAR is calculated they take only your most recent attempt at a set of units.

If you do MX2, then your 2U mark doesn't exist anymore for your ATAR calculation because when you do MX2 it is counted as your most recent attempt.

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC
On this note, the reason why this happens is because when your ATAR is calculated they take only your most recent attempt at a set of units.

If you do MX2, then your 2U mark doesn't exist anymore for your ATAR calculation because when you do MX2 it is counted as your most recent attempt.
this.
When you repeat a unit they take your most recent not your best

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)