Scaling? (1 Viewer)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Lets say a particular exam was really hard and everyone in the state performed badly. Does that mean that that subject scales higher? For example P90 last year mark was 91 and because of an hard exam P90 is 86...will it scale higher?

D94

HSC
N/A
No, scaling isn't single course dependent. It depends on how a student with a certain set of subjects perform against another student with another set of subjects and so on.

If you refer to the ATAR scaling tables, you can rank each subject's scaling to English Advanced/Standard.

Dennis1348

HSC
N/A
No, scaling isn't single course dependent. It depends on how a student with a certain set of subjects perform against another student with another set of subjects and so on.

If you refer to the ATAR scaling tables, you can rank each subject's scaling to English Advanced/Standard.
This

pomsky

HSC
Wait, does that mean the system sees English Advanced/ Standard as the 'control'? (lol i'm so sorry i don't have a better word hahahaha- too much chem.)

Considering the maths/ sciences scale significantly higher than the humanities- and that a higher scaling subject is usually seen to be more difficult-
Does this more or less prove the stereotype that people who are good at the humanities troll at maths and vice-versa? If so, isn't it a little unfair to the people who excel in the humanities/arts?

photastic

HSC
Lets say a particular exam was really hard and everyone in the state performed badly. Does that mean that that subject scales higher? For example P90 last year mark was 91 and because of an hard exam P90 is 86...will it scale higher?
You can't say this because what if the cohort was not as academically smart? It does not always mean the exam was harder if students did not perform as well as the previous year.

A simplified way of how scaling works is comparing performances of the different subjects.

E.g. We have players from different sports, tennis, table tennis, squash and badminton. Let's say they sat their respective matches (exams) and received the following:
Tennis: 65
Table tennis: 87
Squash: 70
Badminton: 74

We cannot simply scale tennis up or table tennis down because we can't determine the difficulty of the matches by judging on one test. So what if we asked all players to play an external match not favouring a sport (English Exam) and these were the results:
Tennis: 93
Table tennis: 82
Squash: 84
Badminton: 87

As you can see the tennis player was superior despite performing the worst in his tennis match. Thus it is evident that his match was harder than the other sports, hence scaling comes into play. What UAC essentially does is that it does this comparison across all subjects. All scaling data is found on the UAC website.

Last edited:

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
You can't say this because what is the cohort was not as academically smart? It does not always mean the exam was harder if students did not perform as well as the previous year.

A simplified way of how scaling works is comparing performances of the different subjects.

E.g. We have players from different sports, tennis, table tennis, squash and badminton. Let's say they sat their respective matches (exams) and received the following:
Tennis: 65
Table tennis: 87
Squash: 70
Badminton: 74

We cannot simply scale tennis up or table tennis down because we can't determine the difficulty of the matches by judging on one test. So what if we asked all players to play an external match not favouring a sport (English Exam) and these were the results:
Tennis: 93
Table tennis: 82
Squash: 84
Badminton: 87

As you can see the tennis player was superior despite performing the worst in his tennis match. Thus it is evident that his match we harder than the other sports, hence scaling comes into play. What UAC essentially does is that it does this comparison across all subjects. All scaling data is found on the UAC website.
Thank you for taking your time for a thorough answer!
also do you have links to the scaling data?

D94

HSC
N/A
Wait, does that mean the system sees English Advanced/ Standard as the 'control'? (lol i'm so sorry i don't have a better word hahahaha- too much chem.)
No, but it is useful in determining how well each course scales because the vast majority of students do English Advanced/Standard. Or you can simply rank the mean scaled mark of each course to determine such a list.

Considering the maths/ sciences scale significantly higher than the humanities- and that a higher scaling subject is usually seen to be more difficult-
Does this more or less prove the stereotype that people who are good at the humanities troll at maths and vice-versa? If so, isn't it a little unfair to the people who excel in the humanities/arts?
No, scaling is not a measure of difficulty, but rather the strength of the cohort/competition. Maths/sciences would naturally scale better because the upper limit is well defined, i.e. you can objectively get 100%, whereas in humanities, there may not be as many high marks due to the subjective nature. But in fact, language extension courses such as Latin tend to scale as well, if not better than Mathematics Extension 2.

You may not realise it but there are heaps of students who are rather average at humanities. It's those students who skew the scaling downwards. You should choose the subjects that you will do well in. It just so happens that those who are crap at everything tend to do humanities - hard truth.

Scaling is carried out afresh each year. What happened in 2014 has no bearing on 2015.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

You got your answer, why bump?

It means that maths/science people in general do better at English than humanities people.

L_Chan

HSC
i heard from my teacher that scaling is all (well mainly) about the rank in the class,
if for example in Business Studies, i got 99/100 and other student's mark was close to 99 as well, will i be scaled down? to like even out with the other students?
idk

photastic

HSC
i heard from my teacher that scaling is all (well mainly) about the rank in the class,
if for example in Business Studies, i got 99/100 and other student's mark was close to 99 as well, will i be scaled down? to like even out with the other students?
idk
No scaling depends on the entire cohort doing your subjects. I think you are confusing scaling with moderation for which BOSTES has fully explained this process with the following link.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)