State rank differentation (1 Viewer)

mrpotatoed

HSC
Just curious, in a subject like 2u maths, a lot of people get 99 or 100/100 for the exam, many of which are also ranked first in their internals. How do they differentiate who comes 1st, 2nd, third etc for state ranks when I would imagine lots of ties would happen, not only in maths, but other subjects where getting 100% in the externals is probable.

My knowledge is that your internal mark is the external mark of that rank. Eg: if you come 25th in the school, and the person who comes 25th highest external is 94, you get 94 for your internal mark? In which case, if someone is first in internals and gets 100 for externals, wouldn't lots of people tie? So yeah, just wondering how that works

Drsoccerball

HSC
Just curious, in a subject like 2u maths, a lot of people get 99 or 100/100 for the exam, many of which are also ranked first in their internals. How do they differentiate who comes 1st, 2nd, third etc for state ranks when I would imagine lots of ties would happen, not only in maths, but other subjects where getting 100% in the externals is probable.

My knowledge is that your internal mark is the external mark of that rank. Eg: if you come 25th in the school, and the person who comes 25th highest external is 94, you get 94 for your internal mark? In which case, if someone is first in internals and gets 100 for externals, wouldn't lots of people tie? So yeah, just wondering how that works
They look at the solutions and who has the more sophisticated working out

Drsoccerball

HSC
how would they determine the degree of sophistication?
You know how theres those solutions where you say "Omg howd you think of that" things like that... The two students one may have done something more "WOW" than the other

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)