Question about internal and external marks (1 Viewer)

duhdevitt

HSC
I'm more of an exam writer than hand in assesments. In bio I'm ranked 32/44 in rank 40ish school. 60% of your assesments were non exams so I sorta screwed them up but in the half yearly I came 12/44 but my rank didn't change cos it was only 10%. Let's say in the hsc I do well like a 90, would I still get the 32nd highest mark

Yeah I'm really confused aha

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
well as far as i understand,

your moderated (but not scaled) hsc mark is consisted an average of your: exam mark, and your assesment mark

you keep your exam mark as whatever you got in the actual exam. So at the end of the day, if you got 90 in the exam, thats the mark you get
and for your assesment mark, you would get the 32nd highest mark

then they add them together and divide by 2. So your high exam mark would still play a huge role in your hsc mark

thats how i understand it, but if i'm wrong please correct me! there's a wonderful half hour long video on youtube that explains it all but i cant seem to find it sorry :(

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
You're going to get 90 for exam mark.

For assessment mark, you will get the 32nd highest mark in your class. BUT BUT BUT that mark is not necessarily the 32nd highest exam mark achieved by your cohort. To work out assessment mark, they take the highest exam mark (regardless of their rank), the lowest exam mark (regardless of their rank) and position everyone depending on the gap between their internal assessment between the top and bottom.

For example, if you get internal mark of 55%, first gets internal mark of 75%, and bottom gets a mark of 25%, and if the highest exam mark is 90, lowest exam mark is 80, you'll get an assessment mark 86.

If I've made an error, somebody correct me (but I'm fairly sure I haven't). If OP doesn't understand this, just trust that it'll be graded fairly (i was like you, bad rank with good HSC mark, all turned out good and fair).

bigdawstv

HSC
You're going to get 90 for exam mark.

For assessment mark, you will get the 32nd highest mark in your class. BUT BUT BUT that mark is not necessarily the 32nd highest exam mark achieved by your cohort. To work out assessment mark, they take the highest exam mark (regardless of their rank), the lowest exam mark (regardless of their rank) and position everyone depending on the gap between their internal assessment between the top and bottom.

For example, if you get internal mark of 55%, first gets internal mark of 75%, and bottom gets a mark of 25%, and if the highest exam mark is 90, lowest exam mark is 80, you'll get an assessment mark 86.

If I've made an error, somebody correct me (but I'm fairly sure I haven't). If OP doesn't understand this, just trust that it'll be graded fairly (i was like you, bad rank with good HSC mark, all turned out good and fair).
In all fairness, was your internal mark a little lower or equal to your HSC mark?

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
In all fairness, was your internal mark a little lower or equal to your HSC mark?
I don't understand your question. If you mean my exam mark by HSC mark, yes, that's what I said before. If you mean my HSC mark, then yes, that's implied by the fact HSC mark is the average of assessment and exam, and I've already said my exam marks were higher than my assessment marks.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
My internal marks were lower because I had a rank that wasn't indicative of my HSC ability, i.e. I fucked around perhaps a bit too much, approached assessments improperly, etc etc

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you're looking at it from the point of view "it's wrong for me to be negatively impacted by my rank because I did well in the HSC", when really, your understanding should be "I did well in the HSC but poorly throughout the year so it's fair I get the average of the two"

bigdawstv

HSC
My internal marks were lower because I had a rank that wasn't indicative of my HSC ability, i.e. I fucked around perhaps a bit too much, approached assessments improperly, etc etc
lol dat feel, was your school mark like 6-10 marks lower then your hsc?

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
The biggest gap was English: 84 assessment, 90 exam, but that's my fault for getting a poor rank. Stop having a moan about the system, it's a good system.

bigdawstv

HSC
The biggest gap was English: 84 assessment, 90 exam, but that's my fault for getting a poor rank. Stop having a moan about the system, it's a good system.
fuck that sucks lol -_-. What was your rank if you don't mind saying

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
My ranks are somewhat mediocre but they're not overtly crap at the same time. I kinda blame it to the fact that I was inconsistent throughout the year and as a result, my results have suffered, which is a fair consequence. Nonetheless, I do know how to prepare for trials and HSC in an efficient manner, so given this premise - is it still feasible to get a solid ATAR (scrapping a 90 would be fantastic)?
Yeah you can still get 99 just get off the forums and study

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
lol, seriously?

or is that false hope whereby i still have to do shit
100% not false hope

You'll look back at your posts on the forums next year and think "i was such a whingy bitch", I know I did. You have so much time/assessments to turn shit around, I've got mates who turned around their HSC midway through their HSC exams.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
My ranks are somewhat mediocre but they're not overtly crap at the same time. I kinda blame it to the fact that I was inconsistent throughout the year and as a result, my results have suffered, which is a fair consequence. Nonetheless, I do know how to prepare for trials and HSC in an efficient manner, so given this premise - is it still feasible to get a solid ATAR (scrapping a 90 would be fantastic)?
m9 you're gonna get it easily

You seem very dedicated to your studies and the fact that you're motivated will take you even further :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)