State Rank and its meaning? Were you one of them? (1 Viewer)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I guess my other question is what does it feel like to be ranked an ATAR of above 95+?

Does it give you any significant advantages in life? Is it going to make your more richer? more successful? I'm interested in stories of people who have moved on after high school with high scores and see how their paths went. Do people still brag about their ATARs 5 years down the track? 10 years down the track? 30 years down the track. Is it something you just tell your mate, friends about how well your performed? I guess for me being a relatively older student , I can see people who have moved on in life and become successful in their given field (with or without a degree).

For me I view someone with an ATAR of above 95+ as dedicated to their studies, going to find work no matter what (because of that motivation and successfulness)

sida1049

HSC
I guess my other question is what does it feel like to be ranked an ATAR of above 95+?

Does it give you any significant advantages in life? Is it going to make your more richer? more successful? I'm interested in stories of people who have moved on after high school with high scores and see how their paths went. Do people still brag about their ATARs 5 years down the track? 10 years down the track? 30 years down the track. Is it something you just tell your mate, friends about how well your performed? I guess for me being a relatively older student , I can see people who have moved on in life and become successful in their given field (with or without a degree).

For me I view someone with an ATAR of above 95+ as dedicated to their studies, going to find work no matter what (because of that motivation and successfulness)
Getting a high ATAR only serves the purpose of university entry. In many ways it does signify success, which in turn correlates to the characteristic of being hardworking and strategising. However, a student who has the specific skill set to thrive in the HSC may not necessarily mean that their skill set also guarrantees their success in university, or in the workforce.

Generally from what I hear (and it seems correct to me), people very rarely mention their ATARs in university or during employment (unless the HSC student applies for work immediately, particularly if they are interested in the tutoring industry), as your ATAR would have served its purpose in either permitting you entry to university or not. It doesn't say very much about a person beyond the context of university entry. And despite that, I've had a casual tutor who told me that he did badly in his HSC, then worked a few years, got into TAFE, then entered university as a medicine student (and married).

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
Getting a high ATAR only serves the purpose of university entry. In many ways it does signify success, which in turn correlates to the characteristic of being hardworking and strategising. However, a student who has the specific skill set to thrive in the HSC may not necessarily mean that their skill set also guarrantees their success in university, or in the workforce.

Generally from what I hear (and it seems correct to me), people very rarely mention their ATARs in university or during employment (unless the HSC student applies for work immediately, particularly if they are interested in the tutoring industry), as your ATAR would have served its purpose in either permitting you entry to university or not. It doesn't say very much about a person beyond the context of university entry. And despite that, I've had a casual tutor who told me that he did badly in his HSC, then worked a few years, got into TAFE, then entered university as a medicine student (and married).
Spot on! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)