• 1 Post By Kolmias

Thread: Scaling – You, Your Friends, and the HSC

HSC
    N/A

Scaling – You, Your Friends, and the HSC

Internal: The marks of your school assessments
    External: The marks of your HSC exams
    Cohort: The other students in your year at your school

If you do well in the externals, a good internal mark and a good cohort will raise your final mark

If you do well in the externals, a bad internal mark but a good cohort may raise your final mark

If you do well in the externals, a good internal mark but a bad cohort may lower your final mark

If you do well in the externals, a bad internal mark and a bad cohort will lower your final mark

If you do badly in the externals, a good internal mark and a good cohort will raise your final mark

If you do badly in the externals, a bad internal mark but a good cohort may raise your final mark

If you do badly in the externals, a good internal mark but a bad cohort may lower your final mark

If you do badly in the externals, a bad internal mark and a bad cohort will lower your final mark

HSC

Re: Scaling – You, Your Friends, and the HSC

Such a terrible system which doesn't reward individual achievement.
    mycoolstory likes this.
    Prelim 2017: 3U English | 2U Maths | Economics | Chemistry | Legal Studies | SOR1 | Modern History
    ATAR Aim: 85+
    Course Aim: Science/Education @MQ

HSC

Wait so a bad internal of say 80 in HSC physics, but good external plus (hopefully) a great cohort could possibly get me a band 6?? I need some hope ughhhh

HSC

yep!

Cadet
    HSC

so if i get an average of 90 on my externals and internals but my cohort gets an average of 60 my mark will drop?

A1P
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by chrisx000 View Post
    so if i get an average of 90 on my externals and internals but my cohort gets an average of 60 my mark will drop?
    Rationally if you get 90 external 90 internal and your cohort averages 60 external, they should also average 60 internal. If that is true then no your mark won't drop.

Bad case for you is when you get 90 internal, they average 80 internal but only 60 external. With external being the yardstick everyone (except 1st & last ranked) gets pulled down for the reason the school marked the cohort as a whole too generously.
    UNSW / Monash Med 2016 deferred

Ancient Orator
    HSC
    N/A

If you're first then I don't think so

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by A1P View Post
    Rationally if you get 90 external 90 internal and your cohort averages 60 external, they should also average 60 internal. If that is true then no your mark won't drop.

Bad case for you is when you get 90 internal, they average 80 internal but only 60 external. With external being the yardstick everyone (except 1st & last ranked) gets pulled down for the reason the school marked the cohort as a whole too generously.
    Why do you get penalised for the efforts of the rest of your classmates?

A1P
    HSC

Why do you get penalised for the efforts of the rest of your classmates?
    BOSTES does have safeguards to exclude a few unusually bad exam marks (for lack of trying) from calculation for the cohort so you are not affected. But if the cohort in general averages 60 external versus 70-80 internal, BOSTES won't believe only you try in the exam and the rest don't. It's more logical to believe your school is too generous with marks therefore your 90 internal is inflated & needs moderated down.

Note this moderating up or down does not apply to your external mark, you get what you get yourself. Only to the School Assessment mark.
    UNSW / Monash Med 2016 deferred

HSC

For example if you do higher scaled subjects, does that mean you have a certain advantage when ranked against all HSC students?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Roronana View Post
    For example if you do higher scaled subjects, does that mean you have a certain advantage when ranked against all HSC students?
    This is true to an extent. The thing is you have to compare the benefits of say doing an easier subject that might be more easier to get a higher mark in but it is scaled less, but then you have to consider are you able to get a good mark in a harder subject, because the thing is a lot of people go into subjects like chemistry, physics and maths extension thinking they are just going to get any mark and then get scaled so high over other people, but this is not always the case. For scaling to benefit you doing a harder subject you still need to get a decent mark. That being said you can get a very high atar doing subjects that are considered low scaling. For instance I have the tes scores (like the scaled marks when different subjects are compared) for my school and a 95 in business had a higher tes than a 93 in physics. I would say personally since I did these subjects that getting that business mark is easier than getting that in physics. However, if you do have the academic ability to score high in high scaling subjects I would take those over low scaling ones, but still you need to consider if you enjoy the course. Hope this helped
    Last edited by jazz519; 30 Nov 2016 at 1:15 PM.
    For Cheap High Quality Notes & Essays: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-bus-94-a.html

2015 - Mathematics: (96)

2016 - English Advanced (97) | Chemistry (93) | Mathematics (98) | Ext 1 Math (48) | Physics (94) | Business Studies (94)

Atar: 99.7 Dux

HSC

This guide is pretty extensive Good work

HSC

If I do average in internals (70-85) and well in externals (80-95) will I get a good atar(75+)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information