is the final HSC test(happening in a few months) really that important? (1 Viewer)

trist117

HSC
So I have been told by many teachers that your rank is more important than the actual HSC test happening in October/November. This is because basically the hsc markers find out your assesment rank, and find out your rank in the hsc exam(out of everyone within your school) and then basically link them up.

For example if you come last in your assesment rank, and then come first in your hsc exam out of everyone that is in your class, you will get an overall ATAR mark that is identical to the HSC mark of the last person in your class, because of your assesment mark.

So my question is, considering I am coming half way in rank in my school, is there really any point in my studying for the hsc test that is in October/November. I really don't have the motivation considering that my rank is around half at my school, and that I cannot change it at this point.

astroman

HSC
it's important, it's worth 50%, also consider aligning, a raw 75 in 2u math scales to a 90, then added with your school mark to give an average. So do good in HSC to bring up your ATAR considerably.

trist117

HSC
so the external marks count towards 50% in the overall mark? Isn't that drastically oversimplified on how your ATAR is calculated?

astroman

HSC
Pretty good since the median has to be brought up. I think raw for 2015 will be 80

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)