Question about ranking (1 Viewer)

asdfasdfer

HSC
So i'm kind of confused with how it works - well what 1st place gets really. I've been told that first place will swap marks with the highest mark in the HSC and others say whatever mark you get in the HSC is what you will be marked with.

This is a concern to me because i'm decently placed in 2 of my subjects and have gotten the highest mark in exams for each of them in those classes however came 2nd/3rd overall due to lower marks in assignments, will my marks be swapped and result in a lower band? because the difference between me and 1st overall in the exams is an entire band which gets me quite worried if swapping is the case.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You always keep your own exam mark.

The top exam mark in the course is given to the top ranked student from the internals as their internal mark. The same thing happens to the last ranked student and the last exam mark (unless there is something really off with that mark).

The HSC is the only common assessment task across the state and so it is used to moderate the internal marks.

The 'swap' is actually not right either.

The ranks and the gaps between the ranks matter.

If you are ranked 2nd and get the highest exam mark your final HSC mark will be the average of your exam mark and a mark that reflects the gap between you and the first ranked person, who will have their final HSC mark as the average of their own exam mark and your exam mark which will be their assessment mark.

If your exam mark is 96 and the gap between you and first is say 3 marks your exam mark will be 96 and the assessment mark something like 94 giving you a final mark of 95. If the person coming first gets say 90 on the exam their final HSC mark will be the average of 96 and 90 = 93.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)