urgent Internal ranking & marks question (1 Viewer)

Fredo101

HSC
So i ended up placing 5th in my school biology cohort. This is unexpected finding. But, here is something more to it. There are 3 people who came equal 1st with a gap of 0.02%. I believe the gap between the first place and me (5th) is no more than 2%. The people below me are horrible and got like 60% in their trials (the top 5 are all within the 90% range then drops to 60%). I am from a rank 400+ school. How much will i get dragged down by the lower part of the cohort?

Fredo101

HSC
Idk. Maybe if u get 85, you get pulled down to 80? Or 95 to 90?
Oh. How much would i get pulled down if the top 4 above me gets like in the 80s in the HSC and everyone below me gets like in the 60s and i get 95 for example?

Kaido

be.
HSC
The moderation process takes into account the differences between your school assessment marks and re-distributes them in the ranking order (with consideration of the mark differences). Assuming the top 4 gets 90 exam mark and you get 95 exam mark. Your moderated will be roughly ~91 or 2.
Then, your final HSC mark should be ~93

Fredo101

HSC
The moderation process takes into account the differences between your school assessment marks and re-distributes them in the ranking order (with consideration of the mark differences). Assuming the top 4 gets 90 exam mark and you get 95 exam mark. Your moderated will be roughly ~91 or 2.
Then, your final HSC mark should be ~93
What if top 4 gets in the 80s and i get 95 and the bottom cohort are in the 60s? :p

Kaido

be.
HSC
The bottom cohort will not affect you much (assuming the top 4 are getting a band 6 performance)
If they get 80s, then your moderated will likely lie in the mid-80s, and your overall HSC will probably scrape you a band 6 at best

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
What if top 4 gets in the 80s and i get 95 and the bottom cohort are in the 60s? :p
Why do you care about the bottom part of the cohort? Anyone under you will not affect you unless they get a higher marker than you.

Fredo101

HSC
The bottom cohort will not affect you much (assuming the top 4 are getting a band 6 performance)
If they get 80s, then your moderated will likely lie in the mid-80s, and your overall HSC will probably scrape you a band 6 at best
Yeah i will get aim for that 96/100 so i cant just get a band 6. (Assuming my internal assessment mark of 91 doesnt get moderated to 84 or below). Going to carry myself to a band 6.

JacksonOJ

HSC
Its important to note that your raw internal assessment mark of 91 means nothing at all and is not considered when you school based assessment mark is moderated - i can not stress that enough

Instead all that is important to note when considering what your moderated school based assessment mark will be is the following

1) The top HSC mark recived by your school cohort

2) Your distance from rank one in your internal assessments

Your moderated internal assessment will then be calculated by assuring the distance from first you achieved in your internal assessment is the same as the distance you and the highest HSC mark achieved by your cohort

Flop21

HSC
Its important to note that your raw internal assessment mark of 91 means nothing at all and is not considered when you school based assessment mark is moderated - i can not stress that enough

Instead all that is important to note when considering what your moderated school based assessment mark will be is the following

Your moderated internal assessment will then be calculated by assuring the distance from first you achieved in your internal assessment is the same as the distance you and the highest HSC mark achieved by your cohort
What happens to your internal mark if you're ranked like 4th, then smash HSC getting the top mark for your school and getting all B6s in externals?

Fredo101

HSC

Lol that is some new stuff to me :)
the distance between 1st and me (5th) is no more than 2%.
So what would happen if i smash the externals with 90+ and the ppl above me (1st - 4th internal) all get like 82. Who will end up with the higher MODERATED INTERNAL MARKS? considering that the gap between the internal marks (from school assessments) is like so small.. thank you :)

Fredo101

HSC
Is it even possible for a person who is ranked lower internally to get a higher moderated internal assessment mark than the person who came 1st internally. (If the gap between the internal marks are close but the person who is ranked lower internally achieves a much higher external mark?)

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Is it even possible for a person who is ranked lower internally to get a higher moderated internal assessment mark than the person who came 1st internally. (If the gap between the internal marks are close but the person who is ranked lower internally achieves a much higher external mark?)
No. They can however receive a greater overall HSC mark.

Fredo101

HSC
Okay from what i have found out, the guy who is 1st internally gets the highest mark of the hsc exam on the day aka highest moderated internal mark.

Here is my final question:
let's say here are the marks of the top 5 students ranked internally that they get for the external exam.

1st internally: 82
2nd: 82
3rd: 82
4th: 85
5th: 95

And so the person ranked first internally will grab that 95 as their moderated internal mark. And since the difference between me (5th) and 1st place is only 2%, will my moderated internal mark be dropped to 82?

braintic

HSC
N/A
Okay from what i have found out, the guy who is 1st internally gets the highest mark of the hsc exam on the day aka highest moderated internal mark.

let's say here are the marks of the top 5 students ranked internally that they get for the external exam.

And so the person ranked first internally will grab that 95 as their moderated internal mark. And since the difference between me (5th) and 1st place is only 2%, will my moderated internal mark be dropped to 82?
Why are you looking at worst case scenarios? Do you really think this scenario is possible if all 5 were so close internally?

D94

HSC
N/A

No, it will probably be something like 93 or 94, given the tail does average compared to the state.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)