how hard is it to get a raw mark (1 Viewer)

duhdevitt

HSC
Yeah the title is confusing but I heard around low 80's will give you a band six in physics. But is it really hard to get that low 80 mark. Do they mark really strict

keepLooking

HSC
If you have answered the question based on what the criteria requires without contradicting yourself then you will most likely get the marks for the question.

Traxoom73

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, marking is strict in the sciences. A mid-high 70s to low 80s scrapes a band 6 for Physics if I'm not mistaken. It's even lower for Chemistry I believe. Depends how well you can rote-learn, haha

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Its really due to the bias marking in the sciences, if you approach/interpret a question in another than they intend then you lose marks ie if very is evaluate and you dont say whether it has +ve or -ve impact on society and environment then your not going to get full marks

laters

HSC
N/A
I think as long as you know what each verb requires, as well as looking at the number of marks allocated, you should be able to ascertain how your answer should be structured to gain the marks :) but yeah the criteria can be quite strict.

D94

HSC
N/A
Its really due to the bias marking in the sciences, if you approach/interpret a question in another than they intend then you lose marks ie if very is evaluate and you dont say whether it has +ve or -ve impact on society and environment then your not going to get full marks
How is your example showing bias? You've shown 'not answering the question'. There's virtually no bias in the sciences marking. Bias comes from the marker's own beliefs and understanding, but that is hardly prevalent in the sciences when the marking criteria clearly sets out what is needed to obtain full marks.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I don't think any people that haven't actually completed their HSC can comment on this. I brought my exam response and for the most part, all the marks i lost were fairly justified.

It just comes down to not answering the question or giving just a straight out wrong response. If your asked to assess/evaluate/discuss and you change it into a describe question, your going to lose a fair amount of marks, since the criteria will most likely ask for a certain number of adv/disadvantages. So for a 5 marker, your going to get a 1/5, no questions asked if it was an assess question and you decided you didn't feel like assessing.

That's not strict marking, that's just fair marking. Why should you be given marks for waffling a response?

Last edited:

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
How is your example showing bias? You've shown 'not answering the question'. There's virtually no bias in the sciences marking. Bias comes from the marker's own beliefs and understanding, but that is hardly prevalent in the sciences when the marking criteria clearly sets out what is needed to obtain full marks.
Sorry let me clarify this, Bias as in you need to conform to the marking criteria, especially in the long response question where it becomes a lottery of whether or not you included this certain fact or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)