Thinking of dropping to standard english (1 Viewer)

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
So I did advanced english for prelim and got an overall raw mark of about 70/100. (I took it seriously and put effort in, maybe I cud've gotten 2-3 more marks if i went full tryhard) I was never confident about english or interested in it but I did advanced because my year 10 english teacher said I was capable. Now after finishing prelim I asked my advanced english teacher if she would recommend me to continue with advanced and she said "No, you should drop to standard". I also asked another teacher from the english department who said only do advanced if u can get a raw mark of over 75 in prelim. I am very confused now because I've seen how much hate there is on these forums for standard but 2 of my teachers recommended me to drop to standard, I also don't enjoy english, am not confident about advanced and would love to focus on my other subjects more than english. HSC is now starting in less than a week and I need to know, should I drop to standard english?

Silly Sausage

HSC
So I did advanced english for prelim and got an overall raw mark of about 70/100. (I took it seriously and put effort in, maybe I cud've gotten 2-3 more marks if i went full tryhard) I was never confident about english or interested in it but I did advanced because my year 10 english teacher said I was capable. Now after finishing prelim I asked my advanced english teacher if she would recommend me to continue with advanced and she said "No, you should drop to standard". I also asked another teacher from the english department who said only do advanced if u can get a raw mark of over 75 in prelim. I am very confused now because I've seen how much hate there is on these forums for standard but 2 of my teachers recommended me to drop to standard, I also don't enjoy english, am not confident about advanced and would love to focus on my other subjects more than english. HSC is now starting in less than a week and I need to know, should I drop to standard english?
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

keepLooking

HSC
Don't drop. Dropping to Standard does not mean you will get 90 raw.

HSC
Do not drop to Standard.

Standard English has horrible aligning! English is english, you have to keep writing them essays and constantly refining your work.

BUT, if you really really believe that you're not going to perform well in advanced and you decide to drop to standard, make sure your rank is up there. By up there i mean top 3, preferably first and make sure you spend a lot of time on english.

Doing standard english will not significantly lower your ATAR in comparison to doing advanced english because both courses have similar scaling. It's the aligning that makes standard horrible.

Just put a lot of effort into english.

JUST PUT EFFORT INTO ENGLISH.

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
hmmm how do u explain my teachers telling me to drop.. Also, at what mark should you drop to standard? The teacher said less than 75 and u shud drop.. but u think I can continue since I got ~70. What if I got like 20/100 raw mark, wud u still tell me to keep advanced?

astroman

HSC
hmmm how do u explain my teachers telling me to drop.. Also, at what mark should you drop to standard? The teacher said less than 75 and u shud drop.. but u think I can continue since I got ~70. What if I got like 20/100 raw mark, wud u still tell me to keep advanced?
Tell them to fuck off and go suck a dick.

vitamin D

HSC
Do not drop. I made the mistake of sticking with standard even with offers to go to advance. IF u think u can do "well" in standard, stay in advance.

Mr_Kap

HSC
Like others have said DO NOT DROP.

If you memorise essays for year 12 you should be able to at least get 75. Seriously, write shit essays, get them checked by teachers, fix it a bit, find a tutor to check and fix, then memorise.

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
Sorry if this sounds rude, but why should I trust you guys over my teacher? I know you guys can openly say anything here but is it that my teacher knows herself that standard is bad but is not allowed to openly say it because I might tell the standard kids and it can cause dramas? Basically, if all of you students know standard is horrible, then why wouldn't my teacher?

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Op consider it this way: Advanced and Standard is the same thing with different text.

Flop21

HSC
Wtf is wrong with 70%? Are you actually kidding me right now? I understand it's probably an average mark, but it's not a BAD mark that would cause someone to consider dropping the subject....

Why trust us? Because this is a forum where you can find many threads from past students and their opinions on dropping and standard. Why wouldn't your teacher know it? Teachers hardly know anything about how the HSC marks are aligned. One of my teachers is a HSC marker and couldn't believe it when I told him about the scaling of one of my subjects (that is shit). Use the search to look for threads about standard english.

Jesus, just tell your teachers to fuck off if they are forcing you to drop. Sorry but the idea of teachers telling me what subjects to do and what subjects NOT to do just annoys me. They can give you their opinion, but it's up to YOU what you want to do.

You know what? I see so many threads with people questioning their subject choices or thinking of dropping because their teachers are pressure them to. What the fuck? Teachers are suppose to help kids and it's THEIR job to improve their marks by... yes.... teaching!

It's quite disgusting that a teacher is too lazy to help some kid and instead tells them to pretty much screw off to standard because they are not getting GREAT marks.

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
Wtf is wrong with 70%? Are you actually kidding me right now? I understand it's probably an average mark, but it's not a BAD mark that would cause someone to consider dropping the subject....

Why trust us? Because this is a forum where you can find many threads from past students and their opinions on dropping and standard. Why wouldn't your teacher know it? Teachers hardly know anything about how the HSC marks are aligned. One of my teachers is a HSC marker and couldn't believe it when I told him about the scaling of one of my subjects (that is shit). Use the search to look for threads about standard english.

Jesus, just tell your teachers to fuck off if they are forcing you to drop. Sorry but the idea of teachers telling me what subjects to do and what subjects NOT to do just annoys me. They can give you their opinion, but it's up to YOU what you want to do.

You know what? I see so many threads with people questioning their subject choices or thinking of dropping because their teachers are pressure them to. What the fuck? Teachers are suppose to help kids and it's THEIR job to improve their marks by... yes.... teaching!

It's quite disgusting that a teacher is too lazy to help some kid and instead tells them to pretty much screw off to standard because they are not getting GREAT marks.
:spzz: I was pretty happy with my mark of 70. My prelim english teacher (who told me to drop) was this old lady and it was her first year in teaching and I'm pretty sure she didnt get her education here so it would make sense for her to not know. But the other teacher has done HSC here and been teaching english for long time and she was the one who told me you need 75+ or else ur mark will be brought down so she also recommended standard.

keepLooking

HSC
:spzz: I was pretty happy with my mark of 70. My prelim english teacher (who told me to drop) was this old lady and it was her first year in teaching and I'm pretty sure she didnt get her education here so it would make sense for her to not know. But the other teacher has done HSC here and been teaching english for long time and she was the one who told me you need 75+ or else ur mark will be brought down so she also recommended standard.
No matter what. Don't drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)