since eng standard and advanced scale the same, why is atar diff on calculators? (1 Viewer)

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
on matrix swapping from standard to advance changes the atar, i thought they both scaled the same, only alignment was different

Flop21

HSC
They don't scale the same?

atargainz

HSC
advance has always scaled relatively higher, where does this misconception even come from?

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
advance has always scaled relatively higher, where does this misconception even come from?
i think it's alignment you're thinking about. anyways on the calculator there was only a 0.2atar difference from the same english hsc mark

photastic

HSC
i think it's alignment you're thinking about. anyways on the calculator there was only a 0.2atar difference from the same english hsc mark
Lol matrix calculator is so inaccurate, tried it with my own marks from last year.

D94

HSC
N/A
No advance still scales better, have a read at the UAC report.

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2014-ScalingReport.pdf
Do you even read?

Section 5.2
When considering the English marks, recall English Standard and English Advanced are scaled as a single group.

• In 2-unit English, all students complete a common paper (Paper 1) which counts for 40% of the total mark. Advanced and
  • Standard students then complete separate papers that count for 60% of the total mark.
  • The Board uses Paper 1 to place the marks of the separate Standard and Advanced papers on the same scale so that a total (raw) examination mark can be calculated for 2-unit English. The marks for Standard and Advanced students are deemed to be on the same scale.
  • The Board moderates school assessments using these raw examination marks.
  • The raw HSC marks which are used for scaling are then calculated.
  • The raw HSC marks for the English Standard and Advanced students are combined and scaled as a single course. A raw HSC mark yields the same scaled mark for Standard and Advanced students.

D94

HSC
N/A
on matrix swapping from standard to advance changes the atar, i thought they both scaled the same, only alignment was different
Because they align differently. Matrix takes in HSC marks, not raw marks.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
Because they align differently. Matrix takes in HSC marks, not raw marks.
lol, i thought the effect of aligning stops when you receive the hsc mark, then the scaling is taken into account, and eng standard and advanced scaling should be identical from what ive heard

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
Lol matrix calculator is so inaccurate, tried it with my own marks from last year.
how off was it for you, and how high did you actually get? I heard it gets better the higher your atar, and mines shit, so yeah

D94

HSC
N/A
lol, i thought the effect of aligning stops when you receive the hsc mark, then the scaling is taken into account, and eng standard and advanced scaling should be identical from what ive heard
No, scaling is performed on the raw mark. Before you continue with your misinformation, you need to understand how those calculators work. They take in data from the UAC tables, and interpolate points in between to get a whole range of scaled marks for each HSC mark. The UAC tables don't show the raw marks, they show the HSC mark.

Since scaling is performed on the raw mark, and the calculators take in the HSC mark (already aligned, and Adv aligns better than Std), it therefore logically follows that Adv will yield a higher mark than Std for the exact same HSC mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)