How badly can 1/10 units affect your overall ATAR? (1 Viewer)

pomeriggio

HSC
hey :~)
currently, I'm doing 11 units (Eng Ext II, 2U Maths, Modern, History Ext., Economics)
and so far, I've done pretty well in all of them (expecting mid 90s for everything... except maths.)

Maths is my worst subject by a laughable amount, and currently I'm coming 56th/76 in the cohort.
Our past school results indicate that the top 35 boys get a band 6 in maths 2U, and I'm just wondering how much it could potentially bring down my atar?

N.B. I'm only expecting 1/2 the two units to count due to my other 9 units being much better in terms of raw marks, and scaling (i think)?
Cheers !

Edit: my school was ranked 27th in 2014

Edit: for the sake of estimations, these are my subject rankings post trials
English Advanced: 1st/90
English Extension I: 2nd/16
English Extension II: 1st/2
Modern History: 3rd/60
Economics: 11th/48
History Extension: 4/10
Maths: 56/76

ATAR Goal: 99.50+

Last edited:

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
currently, I'm doing 11 units (Eng Ext II, 2U Maths, Modern, History Ext., Economics)
and so far, I've done pretty well in all of them (expecting mid 90s for everything... except maths.)

Maths is my worst subject by a laughable amount, and currently I'm coming 56th/76 in the cohort.
Our past school results indicate that the top 35 boys get a band 6 in maths 2U, and I'm just wondering how much it could potentially bring down my atar?

N.B. I'm only expecting 1/2 the two units to count due to my other 9 units being much better in terms of raw marks, and scaling (i think)?
Cheers !

Edit: my school was ranked 26th in 2014

It seems like Math will barely matter and probably won't have that big of an impact on your ATAR. What are you expecting?

pomeriggio

HSC
Yeah that's the best case scenario
I'm hoping for 99.50 for law, but would be stoked with 99+
My placing in the cohort indicates that I'm on track for it, but I feel like my performance in the HSC paper was less than ideal in maths, other papers have been really good though, I'll guess we'll see

cheers! :lol:

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Yeah that's the best case scenario
I'm hoping for 99.50 for law, but would be stoked with 99+
My placing in the cohort indicates that I'm on track for it, but I feel like my performance in the HSC paper was less than ideal in maths, other papers have been really good though, I'll guess we'll see

cheers! :lol:
How do you even get 99+? I just want my 90+.

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A

Cheers !

Edit: my school was ranked 26th in 2014

ATAR Goal: 99.50+
fuark, mirin that english so hard. Not knowing the quality of this year's cohort, I'd still have to say that one unit of maths won't count - the only one it could potentially replace for 2 units to count is history extension depending on this year's results. It'll definitely have a negative impact on your atar, but probably only to the extent of .3 or .4 given it's one unit and it's still a decent band 5. How do you think you went in externals?

pomeriggio

HSC
fuark, mirin that english so hard. Not knowing the quality of this year's cohort, I'd still have to say that one unit of maths won't count - the only one it could potentially replace for 2 units to count is history extension depending on this year's results. It'll definitely have a negative impact on your atar, but probably only to the extent of .3 or .4 given it's one unit and it's still a decent band 5. How do you think you went in externals?
Haha cheers mate, similar subjects :~)

Yeah I'm defintely hoping only one of my units will count for maths, as I just messed up my history extension project but otherwise top the internal exams.

Maths external wasn't pretty, but then again maths exams never are - despite thinking I got well and truly done, I feel like it's the best exam I've sat for maths.
All other externals I have loved to pieces haha

pomeriggio

HSC
I think OP goes shore, not pymble, which is why I'm mirin that english so much. Incidentally, will there be any big state ranks from shore this year?
my bad I was guessing my school, yeah I'm from shore ahaha

pomsky

HSC
Are you expecting a Band 5 or 4 in it? If it's really worrying you, check up your school report and find out how many people get B4/5/6 respectively each year in each subject and find out where you currently stand.

Then just guesstimate using ATAR calculators and you should get an approximate range (use your trial marks as an indicator for your raw marks).

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Are you expecting a Band 5 or 4 in it? If it's really worrying you, check up your school report and find out how many people get B4/5/6 respectively each year in each subject and find out where you currently stand.

Then just guesstimate using ATAR calculators and you should get an approximate range (use your trial marks as an indicator for your raw marks).
92% band 5s or 6s last year - I think OP can rest easy.

pomeriggio

HSC

Expecting a medium band 5 based on past performances as aforementioned -- don't wanna look at atar calculators because they can vary so much :((

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)