atar cut off for 2016? (1 Viewer)

jacintter

HSC
i'm a bit confused about the atar cutoff :spzz:
do they release the cut off next year for uni? or is it the same??

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
they release the cutoffs after the ATAR's come out for that year only

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They release the cut-offs after the offers have been made as until they have made the offers they don't know.

The cut-offs are determined first but after the offers are made e.g. if there are 100 places in a course and last year the 100th person had an atar of 89.5then the cut-off released was 89.5 but this year to fill those same 100 places the cut-off might be 88.5 so that will be the released cut-off. If the 100th person though has an atar of 93.5 then that will become the official cut-off.

I have know a cut-off to move by over 20 points within a two year period (my godson needed 88.5 to get into a course after he finished Year 12 but he didn't quite get it so went to TAFE for two years and then applied again using his 87.0 atar only to find that the cut-off had dropped t 66.3 and so he was in with not trouble at all.)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
They release the cut-offs after the offers have been made as until they have made the offers they don't know.

The cut-offs are determined first but after the offers are made e.g. if there are 100 places in a course and last year the 100th person had an atar of 89.5then the cut-off released was 89.5 but this year to fill those same 100 places the cut-off might be 88.5 so that will be the released cut-off. If the 100th person though has an atar of 93.5 then that will become the official cut-off.

I have know a cut-off to move by over 20 points within a two year period (my godson needed 88.5 to get into a course after he finished Year 12 but he didn't quite get it so went to TAFE for two years and then applied again using his 87.0 atar only to find that the cut-off had dropped t 66.3 and so he was in with not trouble at all.)
Wow-20 points over a two year period is crazy. The ATAR cut-offs for a lot of subjects won't be the same, but it will be usually within 5 points difference max.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)