Impact of your school on your HSC mark (1 Viewer)

Kolmias

HSC
How much does the results of your cohort affect your HSC mark? Is it based on your cohort's performance in the subjects you do or it is across all subs?

EarthSci34

Good grief.
HSC
How much does the results of your cohort affect your HSC mark? Is it based on your cohort's performance in the subjects you do or it is across all subs?
Well, ranks usually just indicate a stronger cohort. Since internal marks are allocated according to the performance of the cohort as a whole, it could definitely affect your HSC (unless you're first or near first for your subjects).

Kolmias

HSC
Well, ranks usually just indicate a stronger cohort. Since internal marks are allocated according to the performance of the cohort as a whole, it could definitely affect your HSC (unless you're first or near first for your subjects).
So if my school has a rank of 300 to 310, am I basically fucked then?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Im basically in the same position, Just aim to rank 1st or atleast 1-3 and you are fine.
If you're in the middle range to lower ranged students, you're going to get scaled down

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
If you're in the middle range to lower ranged students, you're going to get scaled down
yup basically..but depends on what your school is strong on. My school isnt great in science so i have to come 1st or 2nd if i want to get a band 6 or high band 5. Conversely my school is kinda strong on maths so top 5 would give me a high band 6. Just really depends..but all you have to remember is that you need to focus on yourself and do your best. Set your goal to 100% so there is no way you can come anything but first if you achieve this haha

D94

HSC
N/A
Says who? Your mark is adjusted to reflect your school performance throughout the year. There's no such thing as scaling down on the basis of how you ranked because that is the mark BOSTES says you would have gotten if every student in the state sat the exact same assessments.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Can I just make very clear that it is definitely possible to achieve good marks from a low ranked school. Last year (2015) I managed to get 99.90 at a school which was ranked in the mid 300's in 2014 (that being said, the rank was a bit better last year). Don't use your school as an excuse for not trying your best.

D94

HSC
N/A
Can I just make very clear that it is definitely possible to achieve good marks from a low ranked school. Last year (2015) I managed to get 99.90 at a school which was ranked in the mid 300's in 2014 (that being said, the rank was a bit better last year). Don't use your school as an excuse for not trying your best.
There are no official school rankings. You and your peers could very easily all achieve 97+ ATARs and be considered the lowest ranked school in the state. Those unofficial rankings are based on the percentage of Band 6's, which isn't a good measure when you start comparing ATARs.

On trying their best, it may not be that simple for all students in what many consider low ranking schools. Students that are exposed to considerably low standard school assessments have the naivety that they are probably doing well if they do well in those assessments. If teachers don't mark appropriately to HSC standards, students will also believe they are achieving comparably with other students at different schools. But in reality, very capable students might very well be under-performing due to those factors that are generally beyond their control.

Last edited:

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Honestly mate your school won't affect your performance really if you try your absolute hardest. I go to a school which is ranked like 300th or so and I still got a 98 in one of my subjects. Do well and get good ranks and good marks for yourself in the final exams and you can't go wrong. If you are the rank 1, you cannot get pulled down unless you under perform in the final exam yourself. And no offense, if you aren't capable of being number one, maybe the school being 'bad' isnt a problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)