Stressing out! Help me understand this? (1 Viewer)

joey9911

HSC
N/A
Hello!,

I am going to be sitting my HSC in 2016.

Subjects: Standard English, 2u Mathematics, Business Studies, Geography and IDT (VET Course).

My aim is to get an ATAR of 90+.

I only chose IDT because my school didn't have enough students to run IPT. I am absolutely smashing IDT and I am currently ranking 1st in that course (Got over 85% in every single exam w/o study in prelim). Being honest here, my class (9-10 students) is not that smart. Will their performance drag me down if I rank first in both internal and external rank? (I am expecting my mark in the HSC exam to be >90).

Since that subject is low-scaling too, will that affect my ATAR? Again, I am absolutely smashing that course and expecting a high exam mark.

Will my aim of a 90+ ATAR be possible with those subjects and really hard study?

One more question, If I don't rank 1st in my other subjects, neither come last, will "ranking" affect my ATAR too? If so, how?

Thank you!

joey9911

HSC
N/A
1. If you are ranked first internally, you will not be impacted (not necessarily dragged) by your cohort. Being first internally means the highest exam mark -- whoever achieves this -- becomes your internal mark. You keep your exam mark

2. Scaling diminishes at higher marks. You will not be impacted unless you want to aim in the high 99s or potentially low 99s depending on certain factors

3. If you don't come first but not last, then your internal mark will be determined by your cohorts performance and your position away from first. Generally, rankings are accurate and you end up with 1-2 marks at best difference between exam and assessment mark. Remember, it is the distance away from first place that is important -- not necessarily rank. If you are 2 marks behind first but ranked 50/200 then you are guaranteed to get near the top exam mark for the course
Got it! So I gotta rank high in every course + smash the HSC external exams. Got it :)

joey9911

HSC
N/A
Oh!!! right! So I gotta ensure that I am not too far away from First place! Because the difference is what matters? Got it! :) Thanks so much for your help mate!

Kolmias

HSC
Please bear in mind that Standard English scales terribly. I would recommend you do Advanced English.

turntaker

HSC
Please bear in mind that Standard English scales terribly. I would recommend you do Advanced English.
Its kind of too late for OP to change as he is already 1 term into year 12.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
The scaling doesn't matter as long you do well, this applies for any subs

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
The scaling doesn't matter as long you do well, this applies for any subs

Scaling is still useful though. For really high scaling subjects, you don't need to do incredibly well to get it to scale well. For low-scaling subjects, you really do need to do very well.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Scaling is still useful though. For really high scaling subjects, you don't need to do incredibly well to get it to scale well. For low-scaling subjects, you really do need to do very well.
Usually higher scaling subs are 'harder' in a sense. So it more or less balances it out

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Usually higher scaling subs are 'harder' in a sense. So it more or less balances it out

Not necessarily. Even if a subject is "easy", it doesn't actually mean it's easy to get high marks in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)