State ranking (1 Viewer)

EMKsquared

HSC
Hey I was just wondering what marks would you need to get to receive a state rank in
Physics
2u maths
English standard
Engineering
PDHPE
and what marks would you need to top the state?? And if for maths people get 100 for state ranks does that mean you cant lose a mark all year? and if you do come first when and how are you notified, thanks

leehuan

HSC
In terms of the question.

No. If you come first in the internals, and then you get 100 raw mark in the final exam, then moderation protects you. And you get the raw mark of 100 which is basically first in the state.

First in the state DO actually get a phone call from BOSTES.

Only info I have is that porcupinetree, who came 3rd in physics, got a raw mark of 97 or something. It got aligned into a 99.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
In terms of the question.

No. If you come first in the internals, and then you get 100 raw mark in the final exam, then moderation protects you. And you get the raw mark of 100 which is basically first in the state.

First in the state DO actually get a phone call from BOSTES.

Only info I have is that porcupinetree, who came 3rd in physics, got a raw mark of 97 or something. It got aligned into a 99.
Porcupinetree got a raw mark of 95 which aligned to 97. 97 hsc mark got a 3rd on state. Also looking at the UAC scaling tables, the person who came first in physics got 99 hsc mark (NOT RAW MARK)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Your raw internal mark is not what is counted (for any subject*); it's the moderated assessment mark that counts.

* Except possibly really-low candidature subjects, e.g. those with fewer than 10 people in the state doing them. I'm not sure about those subjects.

mreditor16

HSC
Marks needed for state rank do change year to year. It's not a fixed threshold, by any means.

Reactions: D94

leehuan

HSC
Porcupinetree got a raw mark of 95 which aligned to 97. 97 hsc mark got a 3rd on state. Also looking at the UAC scaling tables, the person who came first in physics got 99 hsc mark (NOT RAW MARK)
I only said it out of memory. I expected some errors anyway.

Note, 100 is only common for maths. Because there does exist a trend of at least one 100% every year in maths. This isn't necessarily true for physics and everything else, which have a decent range of short/extended responses.

Edit: After I read the wording of my comment, it seems I ambiguously included all subjects. No, I am well aware that in most subjects 98-99 earns you the first in course, with a few 97s. I must've referred strictly to maths due to OP's specific mention to it as well.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yeah 2U maths is almost always 100 raw for 1st in state. No-one's gotten 100 raw in the HSC 4U paper since 1993 iirc (not sure about this year).

helloimyellow

HSC
3U should be same. I know a couple of guys who got 100 in my school and didn't get SR.

EMKsquared

HSC
Just last question when are you notified if you come first and what do you get pther than recognition and an award(and the bestmark in the state of course)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Drsoccerball

HSC
Yeah 2U maths is almost always 100 raw for 1st in state. No-one's gotten 100 raw in the HSC 4U paper since 1993 iirc (not sure about this year).
The guy that came first got 100 as a mark does that mean he got 100 in the exam?

leehuan

HSC
Just last question when are you notified if you come first and what do you get pther than recognition and an award(and the bestmark in the state of course)
Notification is usually around the Sunday of the HSC results week because the first in course get an award ceremony day before HSC results are released.

mreditor16

HSC
You get notified the Friday before the week HSC results are released. If you're lucky you might land a TV interview but other than that nothing much. some tutoring companies might actively seek to recruit you as well.

Source: Personal experience
modest

:p

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I'm unsure about raw marks, but I can confirm from personal experience that a final HSC mark of 100 in 3U does not guarantee a state rank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)