Internal vs external marks; ranks (1 Viewer)

margaux_n

HSC
Hi guys!

I don't really understand the whole internal/external marks thing OR the way ranks work for the HSC so I was hoping you'd help me out

- What are internal and external marks?
- How do internal marks affect my rank at school?
- How do external marks affect my rank at school?
- How do internal and external marks affect my ATAR and how are they calculated to go towards my ATAR?
- How does the ability of my cohort affect my rank?
- Is my school rank still significant during HSC exams?
- How significant is an overall rank at school?
- Does it benefit to rank first in the cohort (in terms of calculating ATAR and what not) if I'm not ranking first in a single course?
(I hear ranking first in a course at school means you aren't affected by scaling/the marks of others)
- Are state ranks based solely on external marks or a combination of both int/ext?

Thank you, thank you, thank youuu to anyone who can give a comprehensive yet straightforward explanation plus anything else related!

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
From sticky at the top of this section
Internal: The marks of your school assessments
External: The marks of your HSC exams
Cohort: The other students in your year at your school

If you do well in the externals, a good internal mark and a good cohort will raise your final mark

If you do well in the externals, a bad internal mark but a good cohort may raise your final mark

If you do well in the externals, a good internal mark but a bad cohort may lower your final mark

If you do well in the externals, a bad internal mark and a bad cohort will lower your final mark

If you do badly in the externals, a good internal mark and a good cohort will raise your final mark

If you do badly in the externals, a bad internal mark but a good cohort may raise your final mark

If you do badly in the externals, a good internal mark but a bad cohort may lower your final mark

If you do badly in the externals, a bad internal mark and a bad cohort will lower your final mark
I highly highly highly recommend you read the stickies in this section. They should answer virtually all your questions, and probably the ones you haven't thought of yet. I don't mean to be rude btw, it's simply that they are very comprehensive and have had a lot of work put into them - more to the point, they explain it better than I probably could.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)