Drop chem and pick up senior science? (1 Viewer)

nerdwithapurpose

HSC
Hi all,

Throughout this whole year, I've not been doing very well in chemistry, which is a pity because its interesting and I understand the concepts really well but somehow cannot reciprocate this in tests. Currently I'm getting marks in the 60s and am coming about 16/30 rankwise. Because of this, I am considering doing senior science because I really don't want to fail in chem next term/year, even though I know senior science sucks- scaling wise.

Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated!

nerdwithapurpose

HSC
I can't really pinpoint what exactly I 'struggle' with. I have never really struggled in class or with understanding any concepts, but like I said, somehow cannot reciprocate this in tests.

AztecWarrior

HSC
Could be exam technique, I would recommend just handing in practice responses for help, but if you are fine with the concepts, practice will help you improve your mark, and dropping to senior science will not really make it any easier.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I can't really pinpoint what exactly I 'struggle' with. I have never really struggled in class or with understanding any concepts, but like I said, somehow cannot reciprocate this in tests.
SO it's more your exam technique?

If so have you tried to do open book past papers and doing those textbooks with exam type questions?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Could be exam technique, I would recommend just handing in practice responses for help, but if you are fine with the concepts, practice will help you improve your mark, and dropping to senior science will not really make it any easier.
Senior science is literally all basic theory and very little maths (that's what my phys teacher told me)

Streetcarcity

HSC
Would recommend just sticking with chem; senior science scales really poorly while chem on the other hand scales the highest out of the science courses if I recollect

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Would recommend just sticking with chem; senior science scales really poorly while chem on the other hand scales the highest out of the science courses if I recollect
This

Also I recommend you revising thoroughly on the basics again before moving onto yr 12 chemistry as there is a lot of build up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)