Still possible to get a good atar if you stuffed up internals? (1 Viewer)

Leaf247

HSC
So I just sat the trials a few weeks ago and for quite a few subjects my trials marks are either average or below. My ranks aren't all that great, and I feel like my internals just aren’t doing well at all and I’m almost certain my ranks have dropped entirely.

In spite of this, is it possible to get an atar of 90+?

A few details:
School state ranking: Top 10

Half yearly ranks/Recent marks:
English: 66/122 - My English marks however have been slipping since. I've been working on my essays so much since term 3 with my teacher but it doesn't seem like I improved at all. Term 3 mark: ~75% Trials: ~75-80%

Maths: 33/65 - Maths isn't too bad but pretty much all my marks have been lost due to careless errors. I got quite a bit above average in the term 3 mark but got slightly below in trials. Once again silly mistakes. Term 3 mark: 88% Trials: 81%

Biology: 46/54 - Biology is a mess. I either do really well or terrible. Term 3 mark: 93% Trials: 76%

Chemistry: 29/55 - I honestly don't know with this. I'm alright but I'm not exactly great. Term 3: 90% Trials: 74%

Physics: 17/24 - I'm awful at physics. But there's too many subjects that I'm bad at so I feel so uncertain about dropping it. I also really like the subject despite how badly I am at it. Term 3: 80% Trials: 74%

Economics: Essay writing is terrible. My term 3 task didn't have a single essay, and obviously when you compare it with my trials... I lost 15 marks in the essays alone. I've been working with my teacher for pretty much two terms now to improve it but the marks I got on the trial were the lowest I've ever gotten for an essay. Term 3: 90% Trials: 76%

I've practically given up all hope at this point.

Last edited:

Tamama251

HSC
Well you are guaranteed at least above 95 ATAR in James Ruse :)

You didn't say your rank so I guess I can say yes.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Possibly, even though ranking poorly is definitely not favourable you could end up smashing the HSC and scoring a decent mark.

If you usually score 75% on relatively easy exams and you rank poorly and you end up scoring 95% in the HSC you will most definitely have a better shot at getting a great ATAR. Although, it differs so much between schools and how your classmates all collectively perform in the final exam that it is definitely trickier if you rank poorly to get a high ATAR.

Leaf247

HSC
I've edited my post a bit to give you guys a better idea of how I'm doing.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well given HSC external exams are worth 50% of your HSC mark, then doing well in externals can make a significant difference to your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)