State ranks #2 (1 Viewer)

EMKsquared

HSC
So i was just wondering, to get a first in the state, must you rank first internally as well??? Or if you just get outright 1st in HSC will you get it?

astroman

HSC
you have to be first in your subject, and get pretty much 100% for all of your assessments/trials/exams.

EMKsquared

HSC
Fair enough, and im pretty sure that if you come first internally and get the best HSC marks you will get first in state irregardless of what your internal mark was. Am i correct or no??

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Fair enough, and im pretty sure that if you come first internally and get the best HSC marks you will get first in state irregardless of what your internal mark was. Am i correct or no??
i think so..

Flop21

HSC
Highest HSC mark.
Yeah it really is as simple as this. However you get your HSC mark (whether you're first internal or not, e.g. you might be second internally but then smash the HSC getting a state rank), if it's one of the highest you'll get a state rank.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Are state ranks only based on the exam mark or internals as well?

A1P

HSC
Are state ranks only based on the exam mark or internals as well?
Based on HSC mark which, if you rank 1st, is the average of your exam mark & your cohort's top exam mark.

If you don't rank 1st then it involves moderation of your internal mark.

ICantThinkOfAName

HSC
I can speak from personal knowledge that you don't need to be ranked first internally to get a state rank.

I know someone from my school who was ranked around 10th in her subject and got a state rank while only one person above her also got a state rank. Although it was lower than her's by a few ranks.

Furthermore, several received the same HSC mark as her overall including (of course) the person who also received a state rank. So I think the whole state ranking system is incredibly based on luck. My teacher has stated on several occassion that, in terms of state rank, it can come down to some very small details in your external exam that you can't really control if more than 20 people get the same HSC mark.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
This girl was ranked 3rd in james ruse but still came 1st in Bio
96 Internal 97 External and 97 Final HSC mark

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
You don't need to be first if the gap between 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc are relatively small. Like the last two posters have mentioned, SR's are less dependant on ranks the higher you are in terms of school ranking - as the relative gap between marks is lower compared to large fluctuations in higher ranked schools.

trecex1

HSC
yea, definitely not. The guy who came 1st in mx2 in 2014 wasn't ranked 1st at ruse. Something like 4th or 5th. And math is a subject where you'd think internal rankings matter a lot.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
It also depends on your school of course. Being ranked around top 5 in something like MX2 at a school like James Ruse will obviously still put you in contention for topping the state. If you're at a school that's ranked much lower though and not first internally, it's probably much harder to state-top.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
This girl was ranked 3rd in james ruse but still came 1st in Bio
96 Internal 97 External and 97 Final HSC mark
What, how does this happen?

I thought state ranks were based off your internals and externals. If you get 100 in the external exam, the BOSTES looks at your internal ranks and marks and then scales it to balance the difficulty of different school assessments

Again I am not sure of how it exactly works

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
How (in Rathin's comment) the girls from Ruse came 3rd in BIO and topped Bio first
It's very much possible to top the state in a subject without being first in your cohort internally (especially if you're from a top-ranked school).

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It's very much possible to top the state in a subject without being first in your cohort internally (especially if you're from a top-ranked school).
So if you top externals (i.e. the actual HSC exam) you can top the state (if you don't come first in internals)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)