Finished HSC Last year. Low ATAR (<30 HELP)! (1 Viewer)

ragemaster1

HSC
Hello,
So I finished my HSC Last year and got an ATAR of “<30”. The only ‘offer’ I got was to go to Western Sydney Univeristy “The College”.

So I took it on for the first term but due to family complications and issues my results were poor and failed 3 out of 4 units. Where I only passed the Computer Studies unit (I’m studying Diploma in IT).
Then term 2 came around and I went for the first week then my mum had surgery unexpectedly and I’ve had to take care of her for a few weeks. Where I was going to the College on and off till about Week 3 where I had just stopped fully going to College.
I know I’m stupid for doing this but I was basically instead of going to College I’d hang out with friends (who didn’t have Uni on certain days, and other friends who work and not study).
My parents til this day think I’m going to College or “University”.
It would be week 7 now and for sure I’d have missed out on a lot of content so I’m going to withdraw from the Unit.
My dad thinks I’m going to study at UTS next year but I really wanted to get into UTS Insearch as I feel the environment for WSU College isn’t as great and the campus is in the worst location.
So I want to go to another University, or “College” in the city region, but I’ve got my mind set on going to UTS: Insearch. But they require a minimum of 50% RAW HSC results when most of mine were 30 or below.
I really am unsure as to what to do as I’m basically wasting my time right now but it’s the only thing that can make me feel better/ignore the issues that I have. I was seeing a councillor during Preliminary and HSC but it didn’t help one bit.
Is there any way I can even possibly get into any University course?

Thanks.
TL;DR
Failed Term 1 and 2 at WSU College due to family complications, ATAR was <30, RAW HSC Mark <50. Want to go to UTS:Insearch (preferred), don’t want to go back to WSU College.

Flop21

HSC
First off you need to stop making excuses for yourself. Fair enough you've had family issues, but you also admitted you were going out with friends when you should have been at college. You just need to recognise your past mistakes so you don't make them again and can move forward with your life. Also you need to learn from your past mistakes, especially things like study mistakes so you can get better grades in the future.

Do you actually want to go to uni? If so, what's the goal uni course at what uni (realistically of course)?

Have you applied to UTS:Insearch? If so, what did they say? Have you run them, to find someone to talk to about what you have to do to get in?

Have you thought about doing a TAFE course at your local TAFE? https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/study-options/tafe-to-university

Yeah I think you really need to sort this out ASAP, so you can plan for your now, and your future. So then you can get stuck into things and really get the marks you need.

westernsydneyu

HSC
Hi Ragemaster 1,

We are sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your time at the College. If you were looking to stay with Western Sydney University there are a number of other pathways you may like to consider. Depending on which course you are wanting to study there may be programs through the College that are located on other campuses eg - Penrith or Bankstown. You could also consider taking an alternative entry, as someone has mentioned below you could sit the STAT and use those results as an ATAR alternative. You could also look to undertake full-time work for a year and then use that. The final option you could consider is completing a course through TAFE - Preferably a Diploma however you can apply with a Certificate III or above.

If you feel you are struggling we also have student support services available for all of our students where you can gain access to our counselling services.

If you would like to discuss any of these options, please feel free to contact our Course Information Team at study@westernsydney.edu.au or 1300 897 669.

Best of luck with your future endeavors!

Cheers, Western.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)