How do bottom students drag down the cohort average (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I never understood this concept of weaker students dragging down the higher students marks. Does this occur then they do the average of everyone's marks and then the lower the average, the lower everyone's elses marks are? Does this occur for internals or externals?

Thanks

trecex1

HSC
For externals only, I believe everyone gets a portion of the combined cohorts external marks depending on your rank (except 1st and last who get highest and lowest respectively). So weaker students lower the total marks so everyone gets a lower assessment mark.
Someone want to correct me if I'm wrong?

Last edited:

kashkow

HSC
For externals only, I believe everyone gets a portion of the combined cohorts external marks depending on your rank (except 1st and last who get highest and lowest respectively). So weaker students lower the total marks so everyone gets a lower assessment mark.
Someone want to correct me if I'm wrong?
You might be right but it's kinda hard to understand what you are saying.

From my understanding they calculate the externals average from the pool of marks of the HSC exams (from the cohort) and the internal average from the pool of marks of the internal Assessments(from the cohort).

If externals average > internals average: The moderated internal mark gets dragged up.

If externals average < internals average: The moderated internal mark gets dragged down.

Your EXTERNAL mark stays the same and is whatever you get (ie. it does not get dragged up or down). Your INTERNAL mark is what gets changed (moderated) by the process above.

First and last are exceptions to the above. Relative distribution of rankings are preserved.

That's my understanding of how it works, but I could too be wrong.

Last edited:

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
That's correct, however they also exclude results that are very low compared to the rest of the class from the average. So if someone does really bad, it won't affect everyone else.

A1P

HSC
That's my understanding of how it works, but I could too be wrong.
I agree with kashkow by way of this post
http://community.boredofstudies.org...tion-hsc-marks-moderating-13.html#post7192149

So in hypothetical case where the top half students score relatively the same internal marks and external marks, while the bottom half students score better external than their internal, the bottom students would actually help raise everyone's Moderated internal mark (except first & last).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)