How badly will my cohort screw me over? (1 Viewer)

HSC
My school is ranked in the 500s, and my prelims have mostly gone down like this:
Bio - i got 99%, second place got 80ish
IPT - i got 97%, second place got in the 70s
English Adv - same as IPT
English Ext 1 - i got 95%, second place got a low 60s
and so on

I know marks and results for prelims =/= HSC results, but it's seeming like my cohort is going to somewhat affect my ATAR and HSC results.
The question is, how badly?

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
If you're in the top few ranks, moderation is barely going to affect you. If you can consistently get those marks externally, you HSC mark will be fine.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
My school is ranked in the 500s, and my prelims have mostly gone down like this:
Bio - i got 99%, second place got 80ish
IPT - i got 97%, second place got in the 70s
English Adv - same as IPT
English Ext 1 - i got 95%, second place got a low 60s
and so on

I know marks and results for prelims =/= HSC results, but it's seeming like my cohort is going to somewhat affect my ATAR and HSC results.
The question is, how badly?
You seem to be first in your subjects. In that case, your cohort is essentially irrelevant (in terms of whether they can drag you down). Just make sure to do well externally too.

HSC
If you're in the top few ranks, moderation is barely going to affect you. If you can consistently get those marks externally, you HSC mark will be fine.
Thanks dood, there's just such a lack of reliable information about how marks are moderated. Seems like everyone says different things, even the teachers.

chiefpasco

HSC
Thanks dood, there's just such a lack of reliable information about how marks are moderated. Seems like everyone says different things, even the teachers.
You just won't have a good safety net if you fuck up your externals. I go to a school in 400s, and this one girl was getting crazy good internal marks, but the rest of the cohort was average and when the HSC exams came around, she freaked out a little and didn't have the highest externals - so everyone was surprised she didn't get a 90+ atar.

In saying that though, there was another kid here who ranked 1st all year and blitz'd the exams - got like 99+ and a state ranking. So just focus on yourself and the externals and you will do well. In theory you could still get 99.95.

chiefpasco

HSC
SO basically, externals mean everything - you're teachers will attest to this.

billykon

HSC
What if a student is really good all year and has an internal mark of 95 in a subject but the rest of his cohort is really bad, and in his external exam he has a bad day and gets 80 which is the highest mark in the external exams. Isn't it unfair that his internal moderated assessment mark will be 80 when he was trying hard all year?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Yes come first and if you fail it'll be on your own terms and you'll see that. If you think your cohort is trash then there should be no reason to let them be a higher rank than you. glhf fam

trecex1

HSC
What if a student is really good all year and has an internal mark of 95 in a subject but the rest of his cohort is really bad, and in his external exam he has a bad day and gets 80 which is the highest mark in the external exams. Isn't it unfair that his internal moderated assessment mark will be 80 when he was trying hard all year?
That's the risk you took when you attended a very low ranked school to essentially guarantee you're rank 1 in all your subjects.
And in the external you might think you had a 'bad day' but in reality you were never truly on the same level as all the students in the state due to the difficulty of your school assessment. Anyone doing the external HSC exam could underperform and have it affect their overall result, though obviously some can fall back on their cohort to pull their marks up.
So it really isn't unfair at all.

HSC
Yes come first and if you fail it'll be on your own terms and you'll see that. If you think your cohort is trash then there should be no reason to let them be a higher rank than you. glhf fam
wtf dude i think you probably misunderstood me.
I only meant that I would would prefer failing because of myself rather than failing because of other people. Is that an unacceptable thing to say? What's the problem?

HSC
That's the risk you took when you attended a very low ranked school to essentially guarantee you're rank 1 in all your subjects.
And in the external you might think you had a 'bad day' but in reality you were never truly on the same level as all the students in the state due to the difficulty of your school assessment. Anyone doing the external HSC exam could underperform and have it affect their overall result, though obviously some can fall back on their cohort to pull their marks up.
So it really isn't unfair at all.
Implying that people choose to attend a low ranked school. Some of us don't have the luxury of choice.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
wtf dude i think you probably misunderstood me.
I only meant that I would would prefer failing because of myself rather than failing because of other people. Is that an unacceptable thing to say? What's the problem?
No you're the one who's misunderstanding, if you're first internally, you will not be affected by the rest of the cohort. So if you screw up on the day, it'll be on you

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

HSC
No you're the one who's misunderstanding, if you're first internally, you will not be affected by the rest of the cohort. So if you screw up on the day, it'll be on you

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
I had no idea that was the case lmao, I've been really misinformed. Wasn't trying to blame others, just looking for information c:

D94

HSC
N/A
There isn't a lack of reliable information. Search up moderation on the BOSTES website and it will explain the process.

HSC
oml this is embarrassing.
i'm sorry if i offended anyone.
i'll just go back to lurking heh

chiefpasco

HSC
That is so much BS. I would have gone to a selective school, if the nearest one wasn't 8 hours away. So no, people don't go to shit schools to guarantee themselves 1st ranks.

Last edited:

valour

HSC
N/A
If you are (and it sounds like you are) the number one student in all of your subjects then the mark is in your hand and your hand alone. If you get a 95 in the external exam, then your internal mark is 95. If you get 80, and that is the highest mark, then you have been marked too easily internally and only deserve 80. And if you do really crap, and someone from your school beats you in the external exam, because you have been good all year, you get their mark. Analogy to the Sydney Swans. Swans were the most consistently good team all year and lost the grand final. Fair/Unfair? what do you think? The cohort is only affected after 1st place. 1st insn't.

tazmim

HSC
You seem very attentive and organised. Ive been to a bad school as well before Year 10 (what a mistake that was... so many opportunities missed).

I'm not going to repeat what others said here but here's my advice:

IF (and I say, if) there is not much work involved to get 90+'s in your exams, spend your time doing past papers and writing your own notes beforehand. Even then when you lose an arm you can at least grasp the exam at a good level with the only arm you have. So try to stay number 1. Generally people are selfish with their notes and resources if theyre very competitive and begin sharing at the HSC once things get serious and the cohort must cooperate. But if your cohort havent changed their marks in the hSC years, dont bother if you dont want to. If you kept rank #1 all year and your external marks werent too far off from #1 (lets say, 3), you may get the #1 external mark. competitveness also plays part in the HSC

good luck dude!

Flop21

HSC
I had no idea that was the case lmao, I've been really misinformed. Wasn't trying to blame others, just looking for information c:
This is how your INTERNAL mark is calculated... they grab your INTERNAL rank (let's pretend it's 1st)... they then look at your cohorts HSC results, rank them, and grab the 1st EXTERNAL MARK (your internal rank) and make that mark your INTERNAL MARK.

So you can see, if you're first internally, you'll get the highest external mark as your internal mark. And if your mark is the highest externally, than bam you get your own mark!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)