What happens to your ATAR if you fail a subject or get an N-award? (1 Viewer)

exhausted

HSC
This may be the dumbest thing to do for the HSC but I'm just curious because no one I've asked seems to know the answer.
Basically, at my school Studies of Religion is compulsory but I don't want to do it and it's a bit late to move schools. If it's true that they only include your 10 best units for your ATAR, my theory is that if I just do real bad in SOR and worry about my other subjects then I could still get a good ATAR since they only count your best 10? I'm an A grade student so I do get top marks for the other 5 subjects. Again, it's a theory hence why I'm asking about it.
So my question is, if I were to fail everything in SOR, given I complete my other 5 subjects with good marks, what will happen regarding my ATAR? Also, what would be the difference regarding my ATAR if I completed the work for SOR but failed, or if I just didn't complete my work at all? And am i still eligible for a HSC and an ATAR?
Also another question, what would happen if someone didn't turn up for a HSC exam if they already failed the subject anyway or just got an N-award?

Kolmias

HSC
Just do it man. It's apparently a piss easy subject.

SOR is not religous propaganda class. SOR is a class which objectively studies religion.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
My school gives "non-serious attempts" which could lead to an N award and I THINK you will get punished for not doing exams properly, maybe repeating year 12 or just not being allowed to do the subject so just ask your school.

Also SOR isn't that bad of a subject, it's pretty good!

atarguide

HSC
This may be the dumbest thing to do for the HSC but I'm just curious because no one I've asked seems to know the answer.
Basically, at my school Studies of Religion is compulsory but I don't want to do it and it's a bit late to move schools. If it's true that they only include your 10 best units for your ATAR, my theory is that if I just do real bad in SOR and worry about my other subjects then I could still get a good ATAR since they only count your best 10? I'm an A grade student so I do get top marks for the other 5 subjects. Again, it's a theory hence why I'm asking about it.
So my question is, if I were to fail everything in SOR, given I complete my other 5 subjects with good marks, what will happen regarding my ATAR? Also, what would be the difference regarding my ATAR if I completed the work for SOR but failed, or if I just didn't complete my work at all? And am i still eligible for a HSC and an ATAR?
Also another question, what would happen if someone didn't turn up for a HSC exam if they already failed the subject anyway or just got an N-award?
That's actually my school too. You're right about only the best units of subjects counting. From UAC:

"Our ATAR is based on an aggregate of scaled marks* in 10 units of ATAR courses comprising: your best two units of English and your best eight units from the remaining units. " Count your remaining units (not SOR or English). If there are eight, then SOR units won't count at all.

However, I'd recommend trying anyway. You'd be surprised at what you can achieve in SOR. In my school, more than 50% of all students counted Religion in their ATAR. There's no harm in trying.

If you really don't want to waste time on Religious Studies, you can make an appeal with your principal or director of studies (just make a strong case about why you should be doing another subject instead).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)